Newbie trying to download geocaches

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Peresis

Newbie trying to download geocaches

Post by Peresis » 02 June 12 4:15 pm

So I've got a Garmin eTrex 10. Now I'd like to download a list of geocaches around my home. I've figured out how to run a query on this site, but I noticed some caches are not in that query. I guess it's because they're off-site at Geocaching.com? Fine, so I head on over there but I can't run a decent search...I can select 1 page's worth of caches but if I go to the next page it forgets my previous selections. Well that sux. And then I get it in a loc file which I guess I'd have to figure out how to convert, which surely is possible. And I have to go through this captcha nonsense ever single time. Sheesh, did they deliberately make it as user-unfriendly as possible?? Garmin supports opencaching.com but that only has a small list of caches so is really useless too.

So, uhm, this paperless geocaching is a friggin' headache!

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Re: Newbie trying to download geocaches

Post by blossom* » 02 June 12 5:18 pm

I'm not sure about how to load caches to an Etrex 10 but I assume it takes the same .gpx file types as my garmin oregon.

Best way to get a nice list of caches is to do a Pocket Query on geocaching.com (GC) or a My Query on this site. On this site (GCA), they are only allowed to give you a gpx file of the caches listed on this site as you guessed. Same on GC, caches listed there will be what you get in your Pocket Query.

To create a Pocket Query, you need to be a Premium Member on GC. Here on GCA, anyone can download a file with no costs.

Another tool many of us use is GSAK. You can load caches from anywhere into the GSAK database and then make a selection for those you want and load them to your gps. But that's probably for a bit later when you've worked out how to dowload your Queries.

Hope this helps a bit to point you in the right direction. Also check out the wiki here on GCA at http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Main_Page

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 02 June 12 6:10 pm

Peresis wrote:So I've got a Garmin eTrex 10. Now I'd like to download a list of geocaches around my home. I've figured out how to run a query on this site, but I noticed some caches are not in that query. I guess it's because they're off-site at Geocaching.com? Fine, so I head on over there but I can't run a decent search...I can select 1 page's worth of caches but if I go to the next page it forgets my previous selections. Well that sux. And then I get it in a loc file which I guess I'd have to figure out how to convert, which surely is possible. And I have to go through this captcha nonsense ever single time. Sheesh, did they deliberately make it as user-unfriendly as possible?? Garmin supports opencaching.com but that only has a small list of caches so is really useless too.

So, uhm, this paperless geocaching is a friggin' headache!
You hit the nail on the head, over on the other site you have to pay to play if you want data in any useful format.

We can't legally distribute detailed information about 'their' caches.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 02 June 12 7:40 pm

c:geo for android is a good easy paperless caching solution but that probably doesn't help with your etrex...

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 03 June 12 10:36 am

When I first started I individually downloaded the GPX files for the caches I wanted and copied them to the GPS manually. This gets really tedious, really fast... And when you go to log a DNF on a cache you spent 15 minutes searching for only to find its been disabled for the last week you realise there are better ways to do things...

GSAK is a great tool, but to make the most of it - eg. run status checks on the geocaches in your database - I think you need GC Premium membership to let it link to your account(?) but you can use it for GCA queries no problem and individual GPX files too, you can then easily transfer the lot in one go to the GPS, not to mention correct the coordinates of multis/puzzles once you've solved them so you go straight to GZ. The only thing I wish GSAK would do it let me chose where to put the geocache file - it always goes to the internal memory, not expansion card. (I must ask Clyde if that can be changed)

Ultimately, if you like geocaching do yourself a favour and just shell out the $ for Premium and preferrably for GSAK registration too (no nag delays running it) - it make like soooo much easier and gives you more time to go caching instead of cache data management. Persevere with the paperless caching though, it's worth it :-)

:-$

colleda

Post by colleda » 03 June 12 5:43 pm

I too have an eTrex 10 which I use alongside a Nuvi car GPS. It is dead easy to load individual (geocaching.com) caches to the etrex just by clicking the GPS icon. This is fine if you only want to do a few at a time in a selected area. To do large down loads then GSAK is the way to go, but, as previously mentioned, you need to be a premium member. I've only been caching since January and slowly coming to grips with GSAK but if you hang in there it will be worth the effort.

Peresis

Post by Peresis » 09 June 12 11:26 am

Thanks guys. Yes, I've been using GSAK and *hate* that program. It's buggy and I seem to make it crash every 2 seconds. Also, way too many options for a beginner. I'm trying to do things in that prgram and I've got no clue how to accomplish it and I keep doing things and I've got no clue how I did it or what I did. I press a button and it seems to do something to my list of caches but who knows what that is. It's probably made (with lots of love) by some real geocaching nerd for other geocaching nerds (and I say that with the utmost affection - I'm a nerd in all kinds of other ways) but for people just starting out just getting the lingo down is an effort.

Now, if one of those wiki's would just explain what the heck a 'wherigo' cache actually is, I'd feel like I'd learned something today. Time to get off the PC and actually go out and find me cache (that'll sort me out) :-)

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 09 June 12 11:44 am

GSAK is certainly not buggy. What hardware are you running it on?

There is a steep learning curve however. Persevere, it's worth it.
Take baby steps.

I wouldn't worry too much about Wherigo caches until you're on top of things. They are few and far between, and you need a GPS, smartphone or iPad with the necessary software to run the Wherigo
cartridges, which must be downloaded separately. Now you're talking buggy software....

nellc
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by nellc » 18 August 12 1:01 pm

Once I have my pocket query, where on the garmin do I transer it to? ie what folder
Do the .gpx and xx-wpts.gpx go into the gpx folder?
Do I need to delete previous query files?