My Query - eliminating frogs & gnomes

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Tuena
6500 or more caches found

My Query - eliminating frogs & gnomes

Post by Tuena » 02 May 12 10:41 pm

How do I run a query that only produces moveables other than frogs & gnomes?

I tried using / & | followed by the public tags thinking that would eliminate frogs & gnomes but the result was zero on both counts.

caughtatwork

Re: My Query - eliminating frogs & gnomes

Post by caughtatwork » 02 May 12 11:03 pm

I don't believe you can.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 02 May 12 11:12 pm

You could eliminate frogs by only selecting for caches hidden before December 2011. And gnomes before December 2010. But I guess that doesn't help much.

Of course if you found them all you could just exclude caches you have found! :gnome :gnomette :frog :frogette

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Eliminating Frogs & Gnomes

Post by pjmpjm » 03 May 12 7:50 pm

Yurt wrote:You could eliminate frogs by only selecting for caches hidden before December 2011. And gnomes before December 2010. But I guess that doesn't help much.
Of course if you found them all you could just exclude caches you have found! :gnome :gnomette :frog :frogette
Eliminate frogs and gnomes!? Sounds like you'd take all the fun out of life!

:gnome :frogette :gnomette :frog :gnome :frog :gnomette :frogette :gnome

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 04 May 12 12:35 am

Tuena wrote:How do I run a query that only produces moveables other than frogs & gnomes?
I've been thinking about this since it was posted and wondering why you would want to? After all a moveable is a moveable and counts as a find whatever the container. Once the race period is over I set my GSAK defaults back to only showing ones I haven't found so I don't keep refinding the same ones (even though once moved they would still be valid finds).

In GSAK I can't see how to do it easily, apart from running a separate filter for 1/12/10 and 1/12/11 and deleting those caches from the search. Of course in GSAK you can select those caches, delete them and tick the box to stop future imports adding them back in. Then you would only get new frogs/gnomes that have moved from outside whatever area your PQs cover which probably wouldn't be that many outside race time.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 04 May 12 10:46 am

I would prefer to keep an eye out for what I term 'classic' moveables i.e. not race entrants.

It appears I'll have to ignore the latter but there are many & this will take a long time as opposed to having the functionality of simply being able to eliminate them in a query.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 May 12 11:51 am

The wiki has been updated to include your suggestion.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Geoc ... pment_List

I am nearly back to have a computer so I hope to look at this in the next period.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 04 May 12 11:58 am

One way of doing it in GSAK is to filter for Moveable caches hidden on 1/12/2010 or 1/12/2011, check they are frogs or gnomes and delete them making sure you select 'Don't import again in the future'.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 04 May 12 4:02 pm

Thanks to all for your replies/concerns for frogs & gnomes. I don't hold any ill feelings towards them & should I accidently trip over one will check on its well being.

The 'Not' function will be a helpful addition to Queries. I ran a filter on GSAK using dates placed & eliminated frogs & gnomes. I probably use only a small percentage of GSAK's capabilities.