Android GPS problem

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
rinsemesocks

Android GPS problem

Post by rinsemesocks » 24 April 12 10:58 pm

I am using a LG Optimus Black Android phone for caching. I have been using it a while and always got a sat lock within a minute or so. In the last few weeks, it takes about 10 or more minutes to lock on. I have done some google searches in gps forums, but no real answers. Has anybody experienced a similiar problem and come up with a solution?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Android GPS problem

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 25 April 12 1:41 am

I suspect this comes under bleedin' obvious, but do you have a consistent data connection? The GPS uses that to get the ephemeris and rough location to get a quick fix, and the stand-alone GPS chip/software is painfully slow without it.

If you don't usually use 3G data, you might not've noticed that you've used up a quota or something.

rinsemesocks

Post by rinsemesocks » 25 April 12 3:06 pm

No, data is fine. It downloads google sat maps swiftly and says 3G in the top corner. I am nowhere near my download limit. It must know where I am from the phone towers as it puts me within about 50 metres.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 25 April 12 3:36 pm

Load GPS Status from the market and see how may sats it can see, it might help you figure out if it's a software or hardware issue

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 25 April 12 6:02 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:I suspect this comes under bleedin' obvious, but do you have a consistent data connection? The GPS uses that to get the ephemeris and rough location to get a quick fix, and the stand-alone GPS chip/software is painfully slow without it.

If you don't usually use 3G data, you might not've noticed that you've used up a quota or something.
I have my data connection turned off and mine still gets a fix in 3-5mins...

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 25 April 12 6:11 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
Papa Bear_Left wrote:I suspect this comes under bleedin' obvious, but do you have a consistent data connection? The GPS uses that to get the ephemeris and rough location to get a quick fix, and the stand-alone GPS chip/software is painfully slow without it.

I have my data connection turned off and mine still gets a fix in 3-5mins...
Interesting. I must try this with my GNex (which is usually connected), as my little Moto Flipout spent almost an hour NOT getting a fix until I enabled a wifi hotspot on the other phone so it could get some data!

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 25 April 12 7:16 pm

Hmmm...
I had my wildfire say yesterday, that i was located in North Queensland. I even fired up the GC app, and yeah! It still showed my location as queensland!!

...i was sitting in Canberra.

Is that a GPS problem? :-k

rinsemesocks

Post by rinsemesocks » 25 April 12 9:20 pm

I already have the gps app. It shows no sats, or sometimes 1 or 2. I have tried clearing the gps data, and also downloading fresh gps assistance data to no avail, and also to download it hourly.

It can't really be a hardware problem as I get a fix 15 or so minutes later, and when you look at the gps app, it says 6 of 7 sats are in view. It is fairly accurate when it locks.

I have also tried rebooting the phone, switching on and off the gps, switching on and off 3G data, switching on and off wifi data, all to no avail.

I have resolved now just to switch on the phone 20 minutes before heading out.

Apparently there is an upgrade to android on the phone, but as the phone works fine, I don't wish to tempt fate by upgrading it.

I guess the next step is uninstall each gps app to see if one of them is causing it.

rinsemesocks

Post by rinsemesocks » 28 April 12 10:50 pm

Well, it has got to be a software issue. Left it on overnight, outside, with gps tools running, and no lock whatsoever, and picked up only one sat occasionally whenever I went to check.

Ready to throw phone out the window this morning. Put the phone in car this afternoon, switched on c:geo, drove for 10 minutes, look down, and there is sat lock. Pull over, and shows 5m accuracy. Hasn't missed a beat the rest of today.

Weird.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 03 May 12 8:44 pm

Contrary to the belief of these posts, I'm working great on a HTC Sensation with Crazy Johns (Vodafone).
Good lock in the city especially for munzeeing.

mark_rattigan
Twitter: m_ratt

Post by mark_rattigan » 04 May 12 6:59 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:Hmmm...
I had my wildfire say yesterday, that i was located in North Queensland. I even fired up the GC app, and yeah! It still showed my location as queensland!!

...i was sitting in Canberra.

Is that a GPS problem? :-k
More likely a Google Location Services problem.. Got new neighbours by chance that have moved from Qld and brought their wifi router with them?

rinsemesocks

Post by rinsemesocks » 04 May 12 11:15 pm

Rang LG today. They said that my phone didn't use satellites, and that even if it did, it could not use satellites without a phone service. When I suggested that it did indeed use gps satellites because gps tools showed locks of 6 or 7 sats, and I did have a phone service, she said that no LG phone had a dedicated gps. Besides, why did I need an accurate position for when triangulation from the phone towers works. So therefore, the phone ain't broken.