App for iPhone

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
kevsteam
Twitter: mygeogear

App for iPhone

Post by kevsteam » 24 April 12 10:11 pm

Hi
What is everyone using to find GCA caches ?
I use the iPhone so would be intrested in recommendations for Apps

Kevin
Mygeogear.com

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: App for iPhone

Post by Richary » 24 April 12 11:52 pm

I like Geosphere though it's paid ($9.99 from memory). Allows you to automatically download GC PQs if you are a premium member and have them running, and you can also program in another link to take you to your GCA PQs you have generated. Then all caches are in the database you have set up (in my case NSW, and I have another I use and purge for work trips interstate),

If you suddenly find yourself somewhere you didn't expect and don't have queries for you can ask for nearest cache (though that only seems to work with GC) and then download the GPX for that cache.

Apparently it also allows in field logging, something I don't worry about as I can't be bothered typing a decent log on an iPhone keypad.

hgl
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: craigjw

Post by hgl » 25 April 12 3:09 am

Richary wrote:I like Geosphere ...

Apparently it also allows in field logging, something I don't worry about as I can't be bothered typing a decent log on an iPhone keypad.
I use Geosphere pretty much exclusively now, especially as it includes all of the caches / games I am interested in (GCA / Munzee) as they are loaded from GSAK.

I do use the Field Note capability, although I do not type my full log on the phone. I will mark the cache as found, maybe add a quick note if there is something special I want to remember to include in my log and then save the field note. At the end of the trip I upload all of the filed notes and then I have a list of logs on GC.com that I can sit down and complete at my leisure. This is great for ensuring I do not forget one along the way!

I have not worked out how to get it to post field notes to GCA; however it still has the record that I logged a GCA cache and I can look up the details to log them.

Can you tell I like it lots?

Cheers
Craig (hgl)

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 25 April 12 10:40 pm

hgl wrote:
Richary wrote:I like Geosphere ...

I use Geosphere pretty much exclusively now, especially as it includes all of the caches / games I am interested in (GCA / Munzee) as they are loaded from GSAK.

I do use the Field Note capability, although I do not type my full log on the phone. I will mark the cache as found, maybe add a quick note if there is something special I want to remember to include in my log and then save the field note. At the end of the trip I upload all of the filed notes and then I have a list of logs on GC.com that I can sit down and complete at my leisure. This is great for ensuring I do not forget one along the way!

I have not worked out how to get it to post field notes to GCA; however it still has the record that I logged a GCA cache and I can look up the details to log them.

Can you tell I like it lots?

Cheers
Craig (hgl)
I like GeoSphere lots too 8)

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: GCA Friendly Geocaching Apps for the iPhone

Post by pjmpjm » 15 August 12 3:29 am

I never did find an GCA app for my iPhone that works like Geocaching.com's iPhone app does for GC caches.

It would great to be able to access GCA caches on the move, without pre-loading them.

I understand there's such a GCA app for Android systems. Can anyone advise?

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 15 August 12 10:27 am

Here it is.
It's great.
GA Cacher written by mtrax who is a contributor here.
http://tinyurl.com/76j69hm

There's a long thread about it here.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =ga+cacher

pjmpjm
Twitter: Booroobin

Post by pjmpjm » 15 August 12 12:21 pm

gmj3191 wrote:Here it is. It's great. GA Cacher written by mtrax who is a contributor here. http://tinyurl.com/76j69hm There's a long thread about it here. http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =ga+cacher
Thanks very much. That app is exactly what I'd love to have for my iPhone. Very impressive. Wonder if mtrax might write an iPhone version. I'll be the first customer!

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 15 August 12 10:27 pm

Unfortunately I don't own a eyephone, sorry

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 16 August 12 7:21 am

mtrax wrote:Unfortunately I don't own a eyephone, sorry
Maybe not, but you've got the skills, maybe there is a local cacher with an iPhone you could collaborate with to develop an iOS version?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 16 August 12 8:28 am

GCA are happy to talk to anyone about how our API works (developed with lots of help from mtrax at the client end of course)

There is an unauthorised Geocaching Australia app on the iTunes market (or at least there was) but it uses old, stale, invalid data (and our name without asking.... plus Apple won't take it down without going through a heap of legal hoops)

We haven't had any nibbles from anyone in iOS land yet though for any kind of API support.

Our API is open to anyone who asks, our only real stipulation is that you don't use the website's name in the app name or imply that it's official or supported by GCA.

We (GCA) will probably never develop an official app for iOS or any other platform, but we are happy to provide the tools.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 16 August 12 8:58 am

I'm not sure if it has been said, but Geosphere will import (at least a goodly portion of) GCA cache data. There's another thread about it somewhere ... ahhh: http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 12&t=17432

wileyclan
2150 or more geocaches found
2150 or more geocaches found

Post by wileyclan » 16 August 12 11:45 am

CraigRat wrote:There is an unauthorised Geocaching Australia app on the iTunes market (or at least there was) but it uses old, stale, invalid data (and our name without asking.... plus Apple won't take it down without going through a heap of legal hoops)
I was doing a search for a GCA app on the iTunes store the other day. When I saw the app you are talking about I searched for the 'Author' and all their apps. Apparently they have that same app for just about every country in the world

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 09 September 12 4:36 pm

wileyclan wrote:
CraigRat wrote:There is an unauthorised Geocaching Australia app on the iTunes market (or at least there was) but it uses old, stale, invalid data (and our name without asking.... plus Apple won't take it down without going through a heap of legal hoops)
I was doing a search for a GCA app on the iTunes store the other day. When I saw the app you are talking about I searched for the 'Author' and all their apps. Apparently they have that same app for just about every country in the world
And all have a 1 star rating.

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 19 November 12 12:06 am

Wow, this is a really old topic, has nothing happened in the last 2 yrs re: an iphone app for GCA caches?
OK, found GeoSphere on itunes, will check it out
Does it really pick up GCA caches?
I use my iphone for caching exclusively atm, as i have misplaced my Garmin Etrex Legend, which i totally LOVE!
I will be looking at upgrading to iphone5 in 2013 when my current plan runs out, would LOVE an GCA app!
ps. does anyone have any reviews of the Gps capabilities of iphone 5?

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 19 November 12 8:38 am

Maybe you should upgrade to an Android instead of an iPhone.
The field is much richer for caching in the Android environment.
Also, not sure about the 5, but previous iPhone GPS chips haven't been great.