App for iPhone

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: App for iPhone

Post by Toriaz » 19 November 12 7:15 pm

gmj3191 wrote:...
Also, not sure about the 5, but previous iPhone GPS chips haven't been great.
Maybe with the iPhone 3 they weren't great, but the one in the 4S is great. While I'd rather use my GPS, sometimes I don't have it on me when I get the notification for a new cache. Never had any trouble finding a cache with it. And a few times we've compared the results to a GPS & have found the iPhone more accurate.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 19 November 12 9:18 pm

SeabreezeOZ wrote: OK, found GeoSphere on itunes, will check it out
Does it really pick up GCA caches?
Yes it does. Under data, select add bookmark and put in the URL for the relevant gpx file. Eg: http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/nsw.gpx

Then you can import the caches.

I've had the app for a couple of years and find the interface pretty clunky. Hadn't really used it much but gave it a good go this weekend and found it worked much better as I had cleared the database and only had a small number of caches loaded from a gpx my caching buddy emailed me.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 19 November 12 11:08 pm

Geosphere on the iPhone 4 is great. I'm currently 827km from home according to the cache I just logged, and have only brought the phone. 2 GC and 1 GCA cache logged today after the job. People may complain about the GPS accuracy in phones, but in practice it doesn't let me down with the travel I do for work and I find a lot more than I don't.

When placing I will try to get the coords with the eTrex Vista. But I have several hundred finds just using the phone. It's easier as I have the cache notes with me when onsite, can check the hint and the last logs. The only issue I find is when first opened the app may only claim 3000m or so accuracy, but a few seconds and it normally settles.