Java Geocaching programs for mobiles

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
SuperMoosie
200 or more found
200 or more found

Java Geocaching programs for mobiles

Post by SuperMoosie » 27 March 12 2:55 pm

My Etrex is playing up at the moment as per my previous post and I dont have a Iphone/ Droid phone.

So in the mean time does know of have any half decent Java programs for cachings on mobile phones that I can entry coordinates into and follow the arrow?

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: Java Geocaching programs for mobiles

Post by akkatracker » 28 March 12 7:50 pm

Is it a motorola

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 28 March 12 9:38 pm

I used the Trimble Geocache navigator on a Nokia for quite a while. Did a good job even without phone coverage, entering coordinates manually while I was traveling overseas.
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Products ... Navigator/

Not sure what they are doing with it though as it seems to only be available for blackberry now?

SuperMoosie
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SuperMoosie » 29 March 12 9:03 am

Groundspeak(geocaching.com) has a Java version http://live.geocaching.com/ J2ME (Java Micro Edition) which is full of features.
Which seems to have everyone one needs. Maps, download caches in the area, Offline maps, see other cachers in the area etc. You can even download maps on your computer and add them to the phones memory card, to save downloading via 3G It has a 5 cache limit if your not a premium member.

I have had a play with it, but am yet to find a cache with it.

Strangely if you got to their homepage and click the geocaching apps link they list Andriod, Windows and Iphone applications as well as third party apps, but no mention of the Java app. Which is why I had not spotted this before. Apparently it has been around for a few years.

BTW my phone is a few years old Samsung

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 29 March 12 9:34 am

Well I was going to recommend trekbuddy but their website seems to have been hacked and is currently hosting a car import service! 8-[

It's a pretty good program with offline maps, arrow-following and even paperless caching support. Unfortunately it is super configurable which means that the default install may not give you what you are after.

If you're interested, check out the softpedia link above but I'm not sure you'll be able to make it go without support from the forums.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 March 12 10:09 am

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:Well I was going to recommend trekbuddy but their website seems to have been hacked and is currently hosting a car import service! 8-[

It's a pretty good program with offline maps, arrow-following and even paperless caching support. Unfortunately it is super configurable which means that the default install may not give you what you are after.

If you're interested, check out the softpedia link above but I'm not sure you'll be able to make it go without support from the forums.
Works for me.
TrekBuddy description
TrekBuddy is a J2ME application to be used with a GPS receiver.

Trekbuddy is a J2ME application to be used with a GPS receiver. It is designed to work with every Java-enabled device.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 29 March 12 10:14 am

Yes, but I didn't want to send people to http://www.trekbuddy.net, where "we serve you until the ordered car reach the board!"

The forums at trekbuddy.net are were a wealth of knowledge, in particular on choosing the right skin for your device, without which trekbuddy is kinda useless.

Here's hoping they had some kind of backup scheme in place... :-k