Worldwind

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Worldwind

Post by teamkittens » 04 November 04 5:00 pm

Cool tool that I didn't know existed: <a href="http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/">WorldWind</a>. Not particularily useful for navigation but interesting. Anyone already had a play with it?

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 27 November 04 6:23 pm

I've loaded a copy on my 800mhz/512mb system and it doesn't take long before it slows my whole machine to a crawl. I'm going to try and run it on a 3ghz/1gb system in the next couple of days to see if its just a "grunt thing".

The user interface is a little "simple", but the images are quite spectacular.

Any of you with Big Pond access can download the program (and images for australia and other parts) from

http://files.bigpond.com/library/index. ... cat&id=959

The downloads will be "full speed" and I think they are free too. I'm not a BigPond user, so I maybe wrong about the "free" bit. The rest of us can look at the site, but have to ask a "friend" to download them for us.

I've just realised the source code to the application is installed with the software. It's C# (.Net). It maybe possible to build a frontend to link GC and these satetite images, hmmmm,

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 27 November 04 9:51 pm

Or you could just grab the December issue of Australian Personal Computer magazine, and grab it off the disc on the front cover - but you will need a DVD drive to read it. Doesn't affect your ISP download count at all :lol:

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 28 November 04 6:54 am

I saw the APC about an hour after making the posting. As I've already downloaded the software and aussie images and I could find nothing else that cought my eye, I didn't buy it.

Does APC have just the software, or do they have the cached (in the original computer file sense) images as well ?

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 28 November 04 9:04 am

Just the program - so you'll still need to get the images from somewhere.