Oregon Question

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Re: Oregon Question

Post by GJMMelb » 23 February 12 9:35 pm

alfyboy wrote:hey GJMMelb, nah never dumb questions, just learning information, right :lol:

1. The 450 should be the same as the 550, so from the main screen, goto Setup - and scroll down to About. On mine it's the last one. It will give you the Software Version and some other info.

2. No. just download and update the latest firmware, it contains all previous updates.

Alf :D
Excellent - thanks Alf !!! :D

Ediited to add .... gosh we were on version 4.2 and on that link they are up to 5.5 ! About 12 updates behind!!! :shock:

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 23 February 12 10:57 pm

alfyboy wrote:hey GJMMelb, nah never dumb questions, just learning information, right :lol:

1. The 450 should be the same as the 550, so from the main screen, goto Setup - and scroll down to About. On mine it's the last one. It will give you the Software Version and some other info.

2. No. just download and update the latest firmware, it contains all previous updates.

The easiest way is to download and install Garmin Webupdater, connect your Oregon in USB mode, and then run WebUpdater.
It will load your Oregon (or other Garmin) with the latest software release.
Software and instructions http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupda ... nstall.jsp

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 24 February 12 8:30 am

gmj3191 wrote:

The easiest way is to download and install Garmin Webupdater, connect your Oregon in USB mode, and then run WebUpdater.
It will load your Oregon (or other Garmin) with the latest software release.
Software and instructions http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupda ... nstall.jsp
Thanks gmj3191, I did that ..... (and then thought I had killed the GPS!! lol - it went really weird until I took the batteries out and restarted it) ........ but now its all up to date and happy !! :-) It did still take about 2-3 minutes to fully turn on once I uploaded the new set of files but as others have said I think it's just updating the files the first time after a new upload as now it only takes about 10 seconds to start up when I turn it on.

Thanks again

GJMMelb

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 24 February 12 9:15 am

I'm running Version 4.20 on my 400t, but webupdater tells me there are no available updates. Further updates must have been for the x50 only... Sad face.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 24 February 12 10:38 am

Hoojar wrote:I'm running Version 4.20 on my 400t, but webupdater tells me there are no available updates. Further updates must have been for the x50 only... Sad face.
Yes, that's the latest for the 400. http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions

EuDes
9500 or more caches found
9500 or more caches found

Post by EuDes » 24 February 12 1:05 pm

From the Software Updates for the 300 discussion thread on Garmin Oregon Wiki site:
... It isn't a software issue [with the x00 series vs the x50 series], so much as it is a hardware issue. I don't believe the Oregon x00 series has as powerful a CPU as the Oregon x50 series.
If correct, that might be just about it for we x00 users :cry:.

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 07 March 12 6:36 am

gmj3191 wrote:On 14/2 Ver 5.5 was released. It works well for me so far.
http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions+x50
Seconded - since the 5.5 update I haven't had a description/hint lock-up issue :-) It still takes ages to start up after reloading GPX data but I guess you can't have everything! ;-)

I've also noticed the waypoint averaging seems to be working harder - or maybe I'm just using it in difficult areas more. For while I never saw it back-track the progress bar, the most recent ones I've done it's hard for me to be patient enough to get to 80% let alone 100%!

:-$

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 19 June 12 6:22 pm

Does anyone know an automated way of re-building the geocache_visits.txt file?

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 19 June 12 6:52 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:Does anyone know an automated way of re-building the geocache_visits.txt file?
Not sure what you mean by "rebuilding" it.
If you just delete, it will get remade when you next log a cache on your Oregon, starting your next set of field notes from that cache.

If you mean, how can I get all my previous field notes back, when you load them into gc.com, it says something like "Ignoring all field notes before dd/mm/yy. You can uncheck that to get all previous notes back if they're still there on the Oregon in the geocache_visits.txt file.

If you mean, how can I restore an accidentally deleted one, you might be able to use a Windows file undelete utility if its sectors haven't been reused on the Oregon.

Just before I add a new set of caches I always delete everything in the GPX folder, and I delete the geocache_visits.txt file too, but that's really totally unnecessary, and I only do it to make a fresh start. Then I filter the set of caches I want and use the GSAK macro to load them in. Maybe something like all available unfound multis, trads, and solved puzzles (with corrected coords) within 100km.

Sorry if that's off the track or too much info :wink:

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 19 June 12 10:13 pm

Thanks gmj, actually, I wanted to remake for another reason all together.

I like to have all my finds in there, so if for some reason I have found one, and for some reason load it into the gps, it will be marked as found, so I don't hunt for it again.

I was hoping there would be a GSAK macro, but I haven't been able to find one.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 19 June 12 10:48 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:I was hoping there would be a GSAK macro, but I haven't been able to find one.
Have you asked on the GSAK forum?

They are very responsive.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 19 June 12 10:55 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:Thanks gmj, actually, I wanted to remake for another reason all together.

I like to have all my finds in there, so if for some reason I have found one, and for some reason load it into the gps, it will be marked as found, so I don't hunt for it again.

I was hoping there would be a GSAK macro, but I haven't been able to find one.
All you need to do is run a filter in GSAK to only show unfound caches, ( and available, and within 150km, etc) and use the macro to load all those into your GPS. Then you will never load in one you've already found.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 19 June 12 11:53 pm

gmj3191 wrote: All you need to do is run a filter in GSAK to only show unfound caches, ( and available, and within 150km, etc) and use the macro to load all those into your GPS. Then you will never load in one you've already found.
I do that, but some times accidents happen.....
Also, when I cache with my little nephew, I tend to load the found ones, so I can easily see if it's a cache I've found before, so I can grantee, or at least in crease the chances, of a find for him

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 19 June 12 11:54 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:
Have you asked on the GSAK forum?

They are very responsive.
I haven't, but I think next quiet day at work, I'll give it a bash myself first. Thn if that doesn't work, I'll ask the experts

Starruby
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by Starruby » 20 June 12 10:51 pm

Hi LouiseAnn,

are your FOUND caches in GSAK highlighted as such? I think the default colour is yellow. If you use the macro and load a batch of caches which includes ones you have found, then those ones should be displayed on the map with the open treasure chest icon (or the smiley custom icon I think is on your unit). Furthermore, FIND A GEOCACHE will only list those which are unfound by you, and SHOW FOUND will list your found ones if you wish to revisit one to find again with your nephew (or just touch any icon on the screen to select either).

Good Luck!