Uploading caches to Nuvi 1450T

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Skippy

Re: Uploading caches to Nuvi 1450T

Post by Skippy » 23 January 12 7:49 am

The Swaggies wrote:
Skippy wrote: Not sure why that's happening. Are you using the Garmin POI loader or exporting from Gsak , It's been a long time since I've done this method
Exporting from GSAK. I have never used the Garmin POI program for any of my Garmins, always GSAK.
Download the Garmin POI loader and give that a try, I use it all the time for adding .gpx files into the Nuvi .

When you say export from Gsak do you use the Garmin POI... or the Mapsource file ?

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Swaggies » 23 January 12 10:30 pm

Skippy wrote:
Download the Garmin POI loader and give that a try, I use it all the time for adding .gpx files into the Nuvi .

When you say export from Gsak do you use the Garmin POI... or the Mapsource file ?
When I export from GSAK, I click on File > Export > Garmin POI... and go from there or to upload gpx files, I click on "GPS" > Send Waypoints etc and GSAK recognises the 1450T. This has worked as long as I do not load more than 500 caches. But the cache name is shortened to 8 characters even though I have allowed for more in the upload field.

If I download the Garmin POI how do I use that? Do I use it to load GPX files from GC.com? Also not sure how to use the Mapsource as well.

Perhaps to save you time you might like to point me in some direction where there is a procedure for doing this?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 24 January 12 8:03 am

I can't find the page that shows how it export them, I will look again tonight

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 24 January 12 11:14 pm

Skippy wrote:I can't find the page that shows how it export them, I will look again tonight
Thanks Skippy, do not rush, I am going away tomorrow night, back again on Sunday night, I will check back with you then, Cheers and thanks.

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 03 February 12 8:48 pm

The Swaggies wrote:
Skippy wrote:I can't find the page that shows how it export them, I will look again tonight
Thanks Skippy, do not rush, I am going away tomorrow night, back again on Sunday night, I will check back with you then, Cheers and thanks.
Hi Skippy,

I suppose I solved my problem (to some extent) by uploading the caches as a GPX file thru GSAK. As long as I kept the total count to under 500 caches everything works fine.

One of the problems with this is that the name of the caches is shortened to 8 characters so you get the GSAK smart name only. As I did not need descriptions with each waypoint this was OK although loading it as a waypoint provided us with the full name of the cache.

If anyone can come up with a solution here before Albury 2012 that would be great, otherwise we will have to put up with the existing setup.