Iphone Geocaching vs Hand Held GPS

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Re: Iphone Geocaching vs Hand Held GPS

Post by tronador » 25 January 12 8:46 am

I'm sorry to say, that all the caches I have found that have been set by a phone have been very inaccurate and the coords way off.
A bit annoying actually. :evil:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Iphone Geocaching vs Hand Held GPS

Post by Richary » 26 January 12 7:29 pm

tronador wrote:I'm sorry to say, that all the caches I have found that have been set by a phone have been very inaccurate and the coords way off.
That may be partly user inexperience as well. When I switched the iPhone on today to find one of the frogs you left near here it initially put me 3km away. It then settled down to 100m and then 10m. So some of these newer cachers may not be letting it settle down and get a good lock before noting the coordinates.

That said, a multifunction device is rarely going to be as good as a dedicated device. Phone cameras have come a long way and it takes pretty good shots, but never as good as the pocket digital camera I bought a few years ago (let alone the newer DSLR).

For making phone calls, a basic Nokia or something is generally better than a multifunction device as well, they tend to get better coverage in low signal areas.