In Car Navigators - Which is best?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found

In Car Navigators - Which is best?

Post by The Swaggies » 24 November 11 10:24 pm

I am looking to upgrade my Tom Tom One XL GPS as it wont download updates anymore. Some sort of problem with the Tom Tom website, also will not accept map upgrades due to "graphics incompatibility". So after 4 years it is time to look for a new one? :cry:

I am looking at the Garmin nuvi 1450T from Dick Smith, Navman MY80T or the Tom Tom VIA 180.

Does anyone have any views on any of these units? They are all around the same price.

GSAK loads POI's easily to the Tom Tom and Garmin, but I do not know what format the Navman takes or even if you can load POI's to it, any ideas?

Does anyone know if these low end GPS's will take TOPO maps as well?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: In Car Navigators - Which is best?

Post by PesceVerde » 25 November 11 12:05 am

Hi. Personal choice would be the Garmin nuvi 1450T. Should have no problem adding Garmin format Topo maps (like Shonkymaps, Garmin Topo, etc.).

This one has a screen protector thrown in.
http://www.octapc.com.au/prod2475.htm
:)

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 25 November 11 12:27 am

Hope the 1450T doesn't have the same problem loading the Garmin Topo Maps like the 1490T has

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 25 November 11 12:58 am

Hi. The 1490T is a North America model I think but should be OK with Garmin Topo Aus&NZ if there's enough memory (if the specs are any guide)? The 1450T may not accept added maps though. Maybe ask for confirmation before purchase. :( :)

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 25 November 11 9:18 am

The 1490T is also sold here in Australia The T stands for lifetime Traffic, but I don't think the traffic part works well in Adelaide so i don't use that feature

I would recommend the Nuvi500, it's also waterproof and it has the Geocaching mode. and you can add Garmin Topo without any problems.

The Navmans can be modified to Run the raster maps via the OziExplorerCE program, same as the Hema Navigator GPSr, I have a new Tom Tom but I think the only way to add POI's is to be connected to the internet.

honeysucker
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by honeysucker » 25 November 11 10:02 am

with the new Tom Toms beware you have to be connected to the internet and have firewalls turned off to be able to do anything in them and is only via their intranet site

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 27 November 11 10:35 pm

Thanks to all who have commented. I think we would probably go with the Garmin 1450T for general street work. Dick Smith has them for $199 with a Lifetime Maps bonus by redemption. In the end for off road work we will probably still use the netbook with Ozi Explorer (with GPS) as this still seems the best bet. I do not need the ICN for handheld geocaching, only for approach work in the car. As for Tom Tom, I can no longer access my Speed Camera subscription as the update keeps bombing out, so I think I will give them the flick and support a company that has local representation.

Cheers.

PS Any interested in a second hand Tom Tom One XL that still works?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 28 November 11 7:04 pm

Hi The Swaggies, I hope your not going to use the Nuvi1450T as your GPS feed into the PC for Ozi Explorer

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 28 November 11 9:34 pm

Skippy wrote:Hi The Swaggies, I hope your not going to use the Nuvi1450T as your GPS feed into the PC for Ozi Explorer
No I already have a GPS18 for that! I just use the ICN for general surburban caching etc and just normal motoring around.

Can you advise me if an iPad is any good to use in the car in place of the netbook & GPS18 etc? We are just looking to cut down on a few gadgets in the car.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 28 November 11 10:43 pm

I can't answer that question , all I know is you need a 3G version on the iPad to use the maps.

A Data logger or Blue tooth type GPSr is a better way, BUT what a lot of us in SA use is the 7" chinese GPSr .

The IGo8 is a nice program and it has many tracks in the Mt Cole area which the city Navigator doesn't have.

The Ozi Explorer Ce is an extra $40 and you can use the same maps that are on the PC.

It has a solid state hard drive which is better then using any type of PC.

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 29 November 11 8:22 pm

Skippy wrote:BUT what a lot of us in SA use is the 7" chinese GPSr .
OK Skippy, can you give me a brand name here or a link to a place that I can look at this GPSr.

I did a bit of research on the phone at lunchtime and IGo8 appears to be the software and not the hardware.

Can you advise please?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 29 November 11 9:48 pm

Here are some , only problem I found is the screen isn't very bright in the daytime

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170725729912?hlp=false

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-7-GPS-Ca ... 19cb46f942

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-7-Touch- ... 1c215da850

I have no affiliation with any of these dealers

I could be driving to Melbourne sometime next month and also early January if you want to see how it looks

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 29 November 11 9:51 pm

The Swaggies, Much too often on another website, someone posts that their new Chinese no-name GPSr doesn't work.

I'm not saying that anything illegal is happening here, but it's a slippery slope.

I'd recommend a well supported brand GPSr, and well supported (free or commercial) map product. Cheers.

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 29 November 11 10:09 pm

Skippy wrote: I could be driving to Melbourne sometime next month and also early January if you want to see how it looks
From a technical point of view I would like to see one before I commit myself, pity the specials will be over by then, but....

Tom Tom have fixed their website so I could probably put up with that for another month.

You can PM me or my mobile number is on the GCA cachers page.

Thanks.

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 29 November 11 10:12 pm

PesceVerde wrote:The Swaggies, Much too often on another website, someone posts that their new Chinese no-name GPSr doesn't work.
Hi PesceVerde, what website are you referring too. PM me if you like!

Thanks