GC will not work in Chrome or Firefox

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
MalanDi
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

GC will not work in Chrome or Firefox

Post by MalanDi » 23 November 11 10:48 pm

I have always used either Chrome or FF as my browser but recently I cannot get GC to run a full program on either.
It will only run on IE.
I have a second computer and both browsers will run it there.
The symptoms are:
1 When opening a page there will not be any maps in either pane, nor will there be any notes at the bottom of the page.
2 If using a PQ I do not have the facility to delete old ones. ( Nothing happens).

As I said everything is OK on the second unit and in IE.
I also have a problem in logging on to one of my banking pages with Ffox but not with Google.
Can anyone make some suggestions?
Thanks
Malcolm

caughtatwork

Re: GC will not work in Chrome or Firefox

Post by caughtatwork » 23 November 11 10:52 pm

Guess. You have Javascript turned off. I don't know how to turn it on but if you google for it, it should tell you.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 24 November 11 9:53 am

I've had this problem for months now & have been using IE9 rather than Chrome.

I just googled javasript as suggested & followed the instruction ie click on "More" in Google.com & was able to select the menu items so apparently this confirms Java is on.

However when logging into GC or GCA using Chrome, as I just did, I can only get so far. In GC selecting a cache gives me the description page but there are no maps (the squares are there but are blank) & I can't scroll down to view the logs.

In GCA I can access nearly everything however can't access the State dashboards. Clicking on NSW I get those buttons - New, November 2011, 2011 etc but when I click on them nothing happens.

I did make a change to the size of the font a while ago to better suite my corrected vision but this wasn't at the sametime Chrome started to play up.

At one stage accessing GCA via Chrome was so bad that on the main page all I'd get were the links that would normally be hidden (no map of Australia, no colour, nothing recognisable). Clicking on these links didn't produce a response.

IE9 is OK however it wont remember my details such as names & passwords despite clicking on the relevant squares.

I'll stick with IE9 until it crashes then [-o<

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 November 11 11:02 am

Tuena, your problem is Javascript being turned off.

I just installed Chrome.
I have disabled Javascript.
I get the same issues as you identify.
I enable Javascript.
I get no issues.

This is with the GCA Dashboard and the GC maps.
They are all generated by Javascript (AJAX actually) and will not run without Javascript being turned on.

When you go to the GCA home page, http://geocaching.com.au what appears to the left of the map? A big white space or a box filled with new cache listings?

This is generated with Javascript, so if you see a big white space, Javascript is off. If you see a box filled with new cache listings, then you have a different issue.

You don't have something called "noscript" installed as an extension in Firefox or Chrome do you?

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 24 November 11 7:51 pm

Yep no issues here
To turn Javascript on/off in Chrome click on the wrench on the address bar then click options then click under the hood, content settings and Javascript is there
Hope this helps

MalanDi
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by MalanDi » 24 November 11 9:50 pm

I listen to what you are saying,but, I turn java script off/on to no avail.
I reloaded Java-- no difference.
I reloaded Fire Fox-- no difference.
As with Tuena I seem to be getting the same symptoms with the exception of GCA which is OK.
M.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 November 11 10:07 pm

Humour me.

Go here.
http://www.cyscape.com/showbrow.asp

Let it finish (might take a minute).
Search for JavaScriptEnabled
Is it True or False?

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 24 November 11 11:11 pm

I've been out & about all day hiding my last 2 frogs & finding caches, or not.

I checked to the left of the GCA Map in Chrome & I get new caches.

I checked under the hood as suggested by akkatracker & all is as recommended - allow Javascript to run.

I ran that link for both IE9 & Chrome & Javascript Enabled is True in both. However in Chrome I get a message - the Java plug-in needs your permission to run - Run this time or Always run on this site. I didn't select either & the Browser Capabilities Test Page ran anyway.

I've never heard of noscript & have no idea where to look.

Thanks for your interest C@W & akkatracker.

MalanDi
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by MalanDi » 25 November 11 10:51 am

C@W
Test done.
Result: Javascript enabled!
JavascriptVer 1.8

I did read something about protocol tbr- but not savvie enough to understand this.
Thanks

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 26 November 11 5:29 pm

Uninstalled then reinstalled Chrome, rebooted but existing problems unchanged - will stick with IE9.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 27 November 11 10:41 pm

Had a thought & logged in using my wife's laptop - everything works as it should so something has gone amiss on my laptop - any ideas as to what the problem could be?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 28 November 11 4:34 am

Tuena wrote:Had a thought & logged in using my wife's laptop - everything works as it should so something has gone amiss on my laptop - any ideas as to what the problem could be?
Does it have any of those useless 'internet protection suites' like norton360 or whatnot?

If so, try disabling it temporarily

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 28 November 11 8:54 am

I use Trend. Disabled (automatically turns back on after 30 minutes) but had no affect. Trend is installed on the wife's as well. I did use a Free virus checker before but daughter's laptop was infected by the Romanian Virus, no incursions since purchasing Trend.

Perhaps I should bite the bullet & purchase a new laptop - it is as old as my mobile which dates back to the closure of the CDMA network.

Or learn to love the quirkiness of IE9.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 28 November 11 9:44 am

I'm using Chrome to add this info. I have my own access to the internet using a Telstra dongle. I disconnected the dongle & am using my wife's home broad band access. However when I click on the forum I still get the underlying links as explained before. Unlike the dongle I can click on the links & get a reaction.

I had tried to open the Podcast using my access via IE9 however nothing happened either with the POD or direct download. Am listening to it now via Chrome but using the home broadband access. I have been able to open it in the past using my dongle access.

Access to the state dashboards hasn't changed (can't get them to open) using Chrome via the home broadband access.

FYI

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 29 November 11 2:00 pm

Logged on after lunch to GC using Chrome & almost didn't notice that I could see the maps & logs. I haven't done anything beyond what was suggested by CraigRat so shall be thankful for whatever happened. Can access State dashboards as well. However using IE9 I get massive text size so it takes with one hand & gives with the other. See what the situation is tomorrow.