Etrex signal problem

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Etrex signal problem

Post by Laighside Legends » 19 November 11 3:44 pm

I have one of those old yellow garmin etrex GPS - its just under 10 years old i think...
On Thursday it worked fine. I turned it on yesterday afternoon and it couldn't pick up any satellites. :( Even after leaving it outside for about half an hour it still had no reception. Did the same today and still no satellites. My phone GPS works fine next to it.

Any ideas? :-k
Anyone else had this problem?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Etrex signal problem

Post by Richary » 20 November 11 4:42 pm

I'm trying to remember if my old yellow one ever did this. My only suggestion would be to perform a factory reset on it and see if that helps (you will lost all data in it doing this).

Google seems to suggest holding up and enter while powering it on puts it into reset mode.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 21 November 11 8:21 am

this happen to my garmin 12 quite a long time ago, i had inadvertently turned the gods off and the gps would just keep searching.
if i could just find it to try to remember how, have you tried finding the complete manual ?

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 21 November 11 12:22 pm

or is there an option to manually enter your current location? If so, once it knows where it is, it might notice the satellites up in the sky above it. My old, old, old magellan worked well this way

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 21 November 11 12:35 pm

I had that once with my 1998 etrex (which still works \:D/ ) leaving it on the balcony and going to work did the trick. When I returned in the evening it started working again. It obviously needed a longer talk with the satellites.