OSM Maps onto a GPSMAP62s

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ForYourEyesOnly

OSM Maps onto a GPSMAP62s

Post by ForYourEyesOnly » 31 October 11 2:19 pm

OK. I know that probably this has been answered 100 times before BUT I can't find a concise answer (that I can understand!) after quite a bit of websearching.
How do I put custom maps onto the GPSMAP62s? I need a 101 guide to this. Initially all I'd like is a better Victorian Map than the generic ones with the unit.
I understand that OSM are better for Street Maps and ShonkyMaps better for terrain/off-trail use?
Are the instructions on the Garmin site in relation to Custom maps helpful - and if so where do I get the Maps?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: OSM Maps onto a GPSMAP62s

Post by PesceVerde » 31 October 11 2:58 pm

Hi.
For compatible Garmins, they're raster (image-type) maps mainly for smaller areas. Garmin CustomMaps are exactly what the name suggests. You make them yourself, either manually or with software assistance. There's a tutorial for the manual meathod on the Garmin website.

I mainly use auto-routing OSM maps (and mainly .IMG for direct transfer to the device's Garmin folder (but it depends)) from http://www.osmaustralia.org/garminroute.php . They've been fairly fuss-free and cover a large area. :)

ForYourEyesOnly

Post by ForYourEyesOnly » 01 November 11 11:01 pm

That's great...I found them. But how do I actually get them on the Garmin GPSMAP?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 02 November 11 12:05 am

4 Y ii only

Hi. I'm guessing you're after the OSM maps for Victoria.

(For OSM Australia maps, and Garmin GPSmap62S)
If you haven't done so already, download the Victoria maps to your Desktop or whatever. Unzip the resulting VIC_route.img zip folder (and store the unzipped folder somewhere safe). Open the unzipped folder and Copy&Paste the (3) .IMG files to your device via My Computer - My Computer > Garmin(drive) > Garmin(folder).

Previous similar Garmin models were a bit less flexible in loading maps, but on the GPSmap62S just make sure that each .IMG file in the device's Garmin folder has a unique name.

If you make any KMZ CustomMaps, they go inside the CustomMaps folder. Cheers. :)

ForYourEyesOnly

Post by ForYourEyesOnly » 02 November 11 1:13 pm

PesceVerde wrote:4 Y ii only

Hi. I'm guessing you're after the OSM maps for Victoria.

(For OSM Australia maps, and Garmin GPSmap62S)
If you haven't done so already, download the Victoria maps to your Desktop or whatever. Unzip the resulting VIC_route.img zip folder (and store the unzipped folder somewhere safe). Open the unzipped folder and Copy&Paste the (3) .IMG files to your device via My Computer - My Computer > Garmin(drive) > Garmin(folder).

Previous similar Garmin models were a bit less flexible in loading maps, but on the GPSmap62S just make sure that each .IMG file in the device's Garmin folder has a unique name.

If you make any KMZ CustomMaps, they go inside the CustomMaps folder. Cheers. :)
Brilliant. That seems to have worked a treat. Thank you so much