new GCA android app

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
mtrax

Re: new GCA android app

Post by mtrax » 26 January 12 3:01 pm

akkatracker wrote:Just an Idea- with the load all and load unfound options there should be an option to load unfound except movables as you can find those more than once.
I was just thinking about this today.
ie currently when you Load Caches it deletes ALL caches and loads unfound so if have a movable and want to move it it means you have to use the Load Single function.
Unfortuately the API doesn't allow me to selectively load mixed found/unfound types, so I would have to make two calls to retrieve
1. ALL unfound,
2. all Movables types.
ie it would slow the Load down a bit but if its something that people want sure. I'll put it on the todo list

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 26 January 12 3:42 pm

Cheers
Hopefully it will work out. Just had a crash when logging a find on the Tablet

backpaqer2

Post by backpaqer2 » 26 January 12 8:19 pm

sorry if this has been asked before...and haven't downloaded app yet...but does the app cache the google map pages for offline use? at different resolutions?
I have an ASUS eee-Pad tablet running android 3.1 and it doesn't have 3G...only wifi and off all the apps I've tried, none cache the google maps for when I'm out in the field like GeoScout does for windows mobile. GeoScout has a really cool feature when downloading a cache that you can select either 3km x 3km or 5km x 5km of google maps of various resolutions to be downloaded with the cache into local memory so that you are guaranteed to have mapping...and you can choose between map, terrain and satellite. GeoScout also caches any maps that you browse while scrolling around the map while connected to wifi.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 26 January 12 8:43 pm

Don't think so but I'll let the developer answer that
Locus does though

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 30 January 12 7:30 am

As far as I know the caching of map tiles is done by Googl maps not by my app, but I think it will be just limited to tiles you are browsing, so you can search for information about this feature in Google maps

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 23 March 12 10:59 pm

I've had an idea... well not really, just discovered something...

c:geo has (and has had for some time I think) a function called "go4cache". What it does is send your location and the cache you are going for to a server somewhere (only while you are caching of course) It also get others nearby you from the server and displays them on your map and where they are going. Now for this to work you not only need to be caching in the same area as someone else at the same time but you both have to be using c:geo which is very unlikely...

But today I noticed this dot on my map...
It was someone I didn't know going for a cache "504 hours ago" :shock: which I'm guessing is a bug since someone being there 21 days ago doesn't really interest me...

That aside, it got me thinking... I was wondering if this could be done on GCA cacher? I imagine it would work better during :gnome / :frog season when we all race out for the same cache at the same time (and there's probably more of us using GCA cacher)
What do you think? :-k

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 24 March 12 9:23 am

I've seen that feature as well- looks good but sadly I think it's optimised for Germany etc. If GA Cacher could have it it would be good but would require a decent server. As well I'm not sure that the appeal is too great, still great idea... always looking to meet cachers.

BTW mtrax- are there going to be any improvements for ICS, my sensation is getting it by the end of the month :mrgreen:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 24 March 12 10:04 am

akkatracker wrote:I've seen that feature as well- looks good but sadly I think it's optimised for Germany etc. If GA Cacher could have it it would be good but would require a decent server. As well I'm not sure that the appeal is too great, still great idea... always looking to meet cachers.
Actually, it wouldn't need a hefty server at all. Just a few position update requests every now and then and a map feed... easy peasy.

It's a cool idea, GC used to have something sort of like it (probably before its time really).
I'm not sure enough people would use it though to warrant the development time.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 24 March 12 10:06 am

CraigRat wrote:
akkatracker wrote:I've seen that feature as well- looks good but sadly I think it's optimised for Germany etc. If GA Cacher could have it it would be good but would require a decent server. As well I'm not sure that the appeal is too great, still great idea... always looking to meet cachers.

BTW mtrax- are there going to be any improvements for ICS, my sensation is getting it by the end of the month :mrgreen:
Actually, it wouldn't need a hefty server at all. Just a few position update requests every now and then

It's a cool idea, GC used to have something sort of like it (probably before its time really).
I'm not sure enough people would use it though to warrant the development time.
OK but the amount of people using it won't add up. Love the idea

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 24 March 12 1:27 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:I've had an idea... well not really, just discovered something...

That aside, it got me thinking... I was wondering if this could be done on GCA cacher? I imagine it would work better during :gnome / :frog season when we all race out for the same cache at the same time (and there's probably more of us using GCA cacher)
nice idea I did see this feature and would be kinda cool but agree I wonder in practice how many would use it, plus does it report real-time position or just when user marks there position or opens app?
but I'll put it on the list just incase I get the urge ..
thanks

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 24 March 12 1:35 pm

akkatracker wrote: BTW mtrax- are there going to be any improvements for ICS, my sensation is getting it by the end of the month :mrgreen:
not sure, are there ICS features you are thinking about specifically?

I'm thinking about adding a History logging so you can scroll back to see the caches you found / moved, something I'm doing after dropping off etc..
but not sure when I will complete this as I'm off to the Mega and heading off to the Route 66 power trail next month too.

Spreyton22

Post by Spreyton22 » 01 April 12 11:09 pm

This is my first post at the forum, so Hi everyone \:D/
I have been using c:geo and geo beagle, but neither did what I wanted.
Thank you so much for this program - it is brilliant !
I work fab on my motorola defy, and on my wifes LG Optimus One.
At the price of an Optimus One ($99 from Virgin) it would be cheap option to have one just for caching!

Anyway, thanks again - great stuff !

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 02 April 12 8:15 am

Or you could buy an etrex :P :P :P

Oh and Welcome :mrgreen:

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 22 April 12 1:47 pm

Just a quick comment
Am getting another HTC Sensation as my blackberry pearl is very,very out of date- cant even take photos.
If you need a Beta Beta Tester for tablet or phone contact me :)
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Thanks

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 22 April 12 2:29 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:I've had an idea... well not really, just discovered something...

c:geo has (and has had for some time I think) a function called "go4cache". What it does is send your location and the cache you are going for to a server somewhere (only while you are caching of course) It also get others nearby you from the server and displays them on your map and where they are going. Now for this to work you not only need to be caching in the same area as someone else at the same time but you both have to be using c:geo which is very unlikely...

But today I noticed this dot on my map...
It was someone I didn't know going for a cache "504 hours ago" :shock: which I'm guessing is a bug since someone being there 21 days ago doesn't really interest me...

This feature works well in Neongeo.
When the Mega was on it was interesting seeing the little cluster of cachers in and around Albury.
Also, I noticed a few cachers out in my local area late one night last week and saw their logs the next morning.
Quite a nice idea. You can also send messages to them.

On ICS, as I understand it most of the changes are directed at tablets and there isn't anything earth shattering for phones.
Last edited by gmj3191 on 22 April 12 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.