Cheap little Android phone

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Cheap little Android phone

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 27 August 11 9:22 pm

KMart are selling the Motorola Flipout for $79 at the moment, based on a Vodafone prepaid deal.

Now, it's not exactly a powerhouse smartphone, but it is running Android 2.1 and is very, very cute!

I got one to play with, so I'm less tempted to wreck my real phone (Nexus One), and it's going to be fun, I reckon.

First off, I put IP Webcam on it and I've got a small, portable Wifi webcam that can take 3MP stills from any PC on our network.

It's got a GPSr (dunno how good it is yet), so it could be a tracker (probably want to power it externally)

No flash, but the camera's OK, and there's plenty of apps to turn it into a motion-sensitive cam, or time-lapse, etc.

Build a little dock and it's a bedside radio (has FM radio), MP3 player, low-res video player, very flexible alarm clock, etc.

If you want to get your feet wet in the Android platform, or want a second GPSr or something to hold cache descriptions and logs, this could be your entry point for a relatively small outlay.

Damo.

Re: Cheap little Android phone

Post by Damo. » 30 August 11 10:30 am

Is it networked locked with the Voda package?

Papa Bear_Left

Re: Cheap little Android phone

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 30 August 11 12:02 pm

Yes, but you can unlock it for free by visiting the Vodafone website (i.e. not hardware locked)