Flash lights

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
caughtatwork

Re: Flash lights

Post by caughtatwork » 22 July 11 10:01 am

Soltus is a genuine geocacher from Germany. They are coming to Australia. They are interested in night caches. They are asking for opinions on torches.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=Soltus

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 22 July 11 10:53 am

A firm believer in multi-purposing, I'm currently using a Cygolite Expilion as my bike light/caching torch (combined with a simple LED headtorch for log-signing duties)

http://www.ivanhoecycles.com.au/bike-li ... _1104.html

Lots of different settings, pocket-sized, pretty robust, and usb-charging as a bonus.

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 22 July 11 11:45 am

Muh :)

to use a bike-light as torch is a great idea :O
I did see people do it the othere way .. so having a mount for the rorch at the bike :)
And the runtimes a excelent :mrgreen:

I think 50% of the german people bought a "Zweibrüder" P7 ... so that was my first "bright" flashlight too. Exeryone keeps telling how great this light is. Then after a while I startet to inform my self a litle bit about flashlights and did realise that is is to expansiv and by far there are better lamps for the same price or cheaper on the market. :S

May be this Led-Lenser ("Zweibrüder") torches where not hyped in australia as much as in germany. So from your post I can see that there a much more "color" in the flashlight/torch things you are using \:D/

In germany we have discussions if a torch should beatter be a "thrower" or a "Flodder" ... I think this is because when people ask "which torch should i by" they mosly wan't to by it for Night-Caches. There are mosly "throwers" recommended, becaus the light has more range and you can find reflectors from much more far away. In the germany community we have a lot duscusisons about "Lights" ....

So, when you ask: Why a germany one is starting a discussion about Torches in an Australian geocaching Forum ... The answere is simple: I'm intrested =D>

Greetings,
Soltus

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 22 July 11 2:02 pm

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 22 July 11 2:28 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:
Philipp wrote:
blossom* wrote:Why is a german cacher posting stuff here about lights??
Is that a complaint?
I too would like an answer.

I'm a bit suspicious as well. Is there a sales pitch coming
See here, http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 82#p180782

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 22 July 11 7:09 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
ian-and-penny wrote:
Philipp wrote:
blossom* wrote:Why is a german cacher posting stuff here about lights??
Is that a complaint?
I too would like an answer.

I'm a bit suspicious as well. Is there a sales pitch coming
See here, http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 82#p180782
Yeah, we're a horrible suspicious lot at times aren't we? It makes me a bit ashamed becasue Soltus seems a really nice person and I feel bad that I might have upset him. I hope not :)

The best light I've seen in a long time is used for orienteering at night and was made by Silva. You wear a little vest which has a battery pack in it and a small wire runs from there to the headlight which has a few different settings. Using both bulbs, it's like DAYLIGHT!!!!!!!!!! You can see for a very long way and, becasue night orienteering markers have reflectors on them, these lights work really well at picking them up at quite a long distance. The battery being in the vest makes it much more comfortable for your head but you still get lots of strong battery power to light up the night.

But I don't think you can buy them any longer though

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 23 July 11 12:58 am

muh :)

don't worry . . . be happy! :P

I know this headlights with seperated powerpacks . . . It's a good thing when the Powerpack gets very heavy :)
So also Fenix did do a new headlight with seperated powepack . . . for me i prefere a light on my head that does a good flood without a spot. It iritades me to have all the time the spot in the center of my view. So I use my headlight mostly on lowest level for the near area. My next headlight will be a zebralight. The dont use reflectors, so its verry floddy :P

Greetigns,
Soltus

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 23 July 11 1:01 am

caughtatwork wrote:Soltus is a genuine geocacher from Germany. They are coming to Australia. They are interested in night caches. They are asking for opinions on torches.
The reason for the suspicion I expect is due to language difficulties. Soltus was not asking for opinions from the original message.
I will post links for some "recommended" flash lights later, when the batery of my galaxy tab is charged :P
Sounds like Soltus was going to suggest some for us rather than asking for our opinions. So people may have incorrectly thought he/she was trying to sell something.

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 23 July 11 11:25 am

Its a he ;)
and yes, you are right . . . this was not very well formulated :S

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 26 July 11 4:48 pm

I use a head torch from Kathmandu. It's a 2.4W Cree LED. Only buy from there when on special, but the specials are pretty damn good. I think I got mine for 60% off which worked out to be $50.

Actually I just checked the site and it is half price right now. So $65. I'm very happy with it.

When I was commuting with my electric bike I made a light using a 1W Luxeon Star LED that ran off the main bike battery. I was pretty happy with that too. I would have preferred the ay-ups but they were quite expensive.

TwoDrews
400 or more spectacular views seen
Twitter: _macca_

Post by TwoDrews » 25 November 11 9:28 pm

I use a Fenix LD10 ($50 on Amazon) which takes one AA eneloop rechargeable and puts out 100 lumens which is enough to light up the darkest hole in a stump on the brightest sunny day. It also comes with a reversible pocket clip that enables it to fit onto the peak of a cap for night caching.

A future purchase will probably include a nice Petzl headlamp for the GeoKid.

And I have an un-natural urge to buy a Fenix TK45. It's way too powerful for caching, and it's expensive, and I have no rational reason for buying it, but I just want one...
Last edited by TwoDrews on 26 November 11 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 26 November 11 9:50 am

TwoDrews wrote:And I have an un-natural urge to buy a Fenix TK45. It's way too powerful for caching, and it's expensive, and I have no rational reason for buying it, but I just want one...
I own a Led Lenser X21 but it pales in comparison to the TK70 - go the whole hog! I like LLs & have 4 (key ring, head lamp, P14 & the 21). I have given my kids a nifty one (a flash light & a head lamp combined) each. I have a savings plan where I put aside $2 a day & after 12 months shout myself something. Still have plenty of change.

TwoDrews
Twitter: _macca_

Post by TwoDrews » 26 November 11 11:54 am

The X21 and TK70 are really nice torches but might be a little bit overkill. Do those things come with welding goggles or are they an extra cost? Do they need to be registered with law enforcement? Does insurance cover your blinded victims? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I like your idea of a savings plan, I reckon I'll put a tin by the door for daily coinage donations.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 11 December 11 8:11 pm

I use this one - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/romisen-rc-29-cree-q5-wc-3-mode-180-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-aa-1-14500-50679 and I find it to be very bright and it shines quite far on the zoom out. The comments I get every time I go caching at night with friends are funny, gee that's bright, wow, that goes far! Where did you get that? How much? That is amazing!
I aim to get another torch at some point, a bigger better one but for now, this is amazing!