OziExplorer Waypoints and the Oregon 550

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

OziExplorer Waypoints and the Oregon 550

Post by gmj3191 » 02 July 11 1:01 am

For some reason if I create waypoints in Ozi and then download them to my Oregon, I can't find them on the Oregon.
If I upload my waypoints back to Ozi, they are still all there.

I wonder if there is some format issue which allows the Oregon to retain them and upload them back, but will not let them function on the Oregon.

Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Re: OziExplorer Waypoints and the Oregon 550

Post by Chwiliwr » 02 July 11 2:00 am

gmj3191 wrote:For some reason if I create waypoints in Ozi and then download them to my Oregon, I can't find them on the Oregon.

I wonder if there is some format issue which allows the Oregon to retain them and upload them back, but will not let them function on the Oregon.

Thanks.
I recently got a 550 and had a similar problem and found that there were too many waypoints in total but not from what I had loaded but from previous stuff so deleted all the GPX files including the ones that came with the Oregan and the problem went away.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 02 July 11 11:05 am

Chwiliwr wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:For some reason if I create waypoints in Ozi and then download them to my Oregon, I can't find them on the Oregon.

Thanks.
I recently got a 550 and had a similar problem and found that there were too many waypoints in total but not from what I had loaded but from previous stuff so deleted all the GPX files including the ones that came with the Oregan and the problem went away.
Hmmm ... I have now deleted everything in the GPX folder but the waypoints loaded in from Ozi are still in there somewhere.
I can't find them in the Oregon, but they load back into Ozi.
I can't see them with Basecamp, Mapsource or GSAK, but Ozi reads them in like there's no tomorrow.
There is nothing stored under the GPX folder on the Oregon but there's still data in the POI area.

I just discovered that Ozi would read them in even when the GPS is not connected. Something fishy is going on.
It looks like when I type Garmin >> Load Waypoints and Routes from the GPS
it's really reading them in from a temporary file or something, and not from the actual GPS.

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 02 July 11 1:11 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
Chwiliwr wrote:

Thanks.
Hmmm ... I have now deleted everything in the GPX folder but the waypoints loaded in from Ozi are still in there somewhere.
I can't find them in the Oregon, but they load back into Ozi.
I can't see them with Basecamp, Mapsource or GSAK, but Ozi reads them in like there's no tomorrow.
There is nothing stored under the GPX folder on the Oregon but there's still data in the POI area.

I just discovered that Ozi would read them in even when the GPS is not connected. Something fishy is going on.
It looks like when I type Garmin >> Load Waypoints and Routes from the GPS
it's really reading them in from a temporary file or something, and not from the actual GPS.
There is an Archive folder that Ozi can see and will take stuff from. Try making an GPX folder on you PC from Ozi and then manually copying it over to the Oregan and see if that works.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 02 July 11 3:38 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:
There is an Archive folder that Ozi can see and will take stuff from. Try making an GPX folder on you PC from Ozi and then manually copying it over to the Oregan and see if that works.
Yes, that worked, thanks, great idea.

Now I wonder why it doesn't work the way it should.