how do I use Tomtom for geocaching?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
mtrax

how do I use Tomtom for geocaching?

Post by mtrax » 21 June 11 10:46 am

I admit not doing too much research on this topic, but I would like to be able to use my Tomtom XL250 as a "backup" device to Geocache.
My first few attempts failed, so I think perhaps I'm not using the right method.
I think the first issue is show my location without it locking on to Roads, I'm not sure if thats even possible. I used the "Via Walking" but it still seems to lock on the road.

The next issue is to get some sort of compass direct rather than left/right direction.

Any one with some useful advice?

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: how do I use Tomtom for geocaching?

Post by Zalgariath » 21 June 11 11:03 am

I found my first 1200 caches on a TomTom One XL. I uploaded the POI's via the GSAK Macro and then used the "View Map" mode.

Once on the 2D map I hit "Find ---> My Location" and the flashing curser will centre on your current position (even if the arrow locks onto a nearby road) so you can see where you are in relation to the cache and guestimate distance using the scale. Once you are far enough (about 50m) away from the road the arrow will jump to your location and you can point it in the right direction and walk ;)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 21 June 11 11:15 am

Zalgariath wrote: Once you are far enough (about 50m) away from the road the arrow will jump to your location and you can point it in the right direction and walk ;)
I had the issue because it was locking on road so I didn't know which side of the road it was!
and if the road is not exactly aligned then this adds to the confusion.

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 26 June 11 2:49 am

"how do I use Tomtom for geocaching?"

Use it to navigate to the nearest shop that sells Garmin/Magellan/TwoNav etc :)

Cheers
Greg