Bulk downloading to a Dakota 20

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
nutwood

Bulk downloading to a Dakota 20

Post by nutwood » 14 June 11 7:45 pm

I hope this isn't a silly question but I'm wondering if it's possible to bulk download Geocaches to my GPS. I occasionally travel to parts of the country I'm not overly familiar with. It'd be nice if before I went I could bulk download every geocache for the area I'm going. I could then use the "Nearest Cache" feature and if by chance, my wanderings take me near a cache, excellent. If they don't, well, bulk delete when I come home.
The alternative is that I could patiently work out where I'm going and then download likely looking individual caches. Basically I'm being lazy and wondering if others have been down this path before me?

mtrax

Re: Bulk downloading to a Dakota 20

Post by mtrax » 14 June 11 8:40 pm

there are a couple of methods but the most popular is to use the premium feature : Pocket Query and download them to GSAK and use that to load into GPS .
I think this was mentioned in another thread.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 June 11 10:59 pm

GC and GCA both have the facility to do caches along a route, which is handy for those road trips!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 June 11 11:40 pm

Tasmania has a plethora of GCA caches.

Set up a GCA My Query.
http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/
Click on create New Query
http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/new

Select 1000 caches
Give it a meaningful name
Tick Is Available
Select Australia
Select Tasmania
Click the New Button

You now have the ability to:
See the caches on Google Maps
Send them directly to your GPS
Download a ZIP of GPX file

If you want the file each week, select a day of the week and a ZIP GPX file gets emailed to you, straight to you inbox.

Enjoy.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 15 June 11 11:26 am

Excellent. Thank you very much. I think my question is answered. :D

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 26 December 11 8:01 pm

Dredging up an old thread, but I took advantage of my Ray's VIP membership and the post-christmas 26.5% off, to add a Dakota 20 to the family.

On the Mac, I simply downloaded the .GPX files with the caches of interest (one from GCA, the other from GC.com), plugged the Dakota into the Mac and when it appeared in the devices list, copied the GPX files into the GPX folder and ejected he device. Then, when I started the Dakota up and went to the caches list, there they all were, both GC and GCA caches listed and present on the basemap.

I haven't actually been caching with it as yet, but for paperless caching the Dakota 20 certainly looks like a big step up from the old faithful Etrex, which only read LOC files, showed caches listed by GC code, and wouldn't read GPX files at all.