Anyone Geocached with a HTC Smartphone?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Storm Chasers
400 or more spectacular views seen

Anyone Geocached with a HTC Smartphone?

Post by Storm Chasers » 29 May 11 8:57 am

Hi all,

I am planning on upgrading my phone to a HTC Incredible S, shortly. Has anyone done geocaching with this phone or similar with the Android OS? How would you rate it? What Software did you use etc.... I understand they are not as good as a dedicated GPS also, so no need to tell me to go buy one :)

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Anyone Geocached with a HTC Smartphone?

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 May 11 11:15 am

You'll find many opinions and reviews in this thread: http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 12&t=15360

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 29 May 11 3:27 pm

Storm Chasers wrote:Hi all,

I am planning on upgrading my phone to a HTC Incredible S, shortly. Has anyone done geocaching with this phone or similar with the Android OS? How would you rate it? What Software did you use etc.... I understand they are not as good as a dedicated GPS also, so no need to tell me to go buy one :)
I have an HTC Desire, which is similar to an Incredible I think.

Hardware wise

PROs
- the GPS seems much better than an iPhone, and pretty much on a par with the Oregon in my field tests
- Great having on-line access to the latest cache data, e.g. when new caches pop up

CONS
- Screen visibility in sunlight is not as good as an Oregon, and way worse than a GPSMap 60 CSX screen
- I don't much like any of the compass screens in the Android apps (I've seen so far). I prefer a simple easy to see arrow
- The touch screen is very sensitive, easy to accidentally do the wrong thing
- You wouldn't want to drop it or get it wet
- Battery life may be an issue for an extended session. I have a car cradle which helps a lot.

I use my Oregon mostly, and only use the Android if a new cache pops up.
In my opinion, if you line them them up side by side, the Oregon wins hands down.

The other issue with the HTC is, I don't think it's that good as a phone either. Sure the software facilities, calendar and contact features are great, but our house is in a marginal reception area, and the Desire doesn't work nearly as well as my old Nokia 6233 did in terms of phone reception. Seems ok away from home however. I really like its SMS capabilities and other PDA type functions.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 29 May 11 6:44 pm

HTC Desire user here

Love it

As for caching apps, see my site at http://androidcaching.com to get an idea of SOME of the MANY apps available for Android

Storm Chasers

Post by Storm Chasers » 29 May 11 11:01 pm

Thanks guys muchly appreciated...

CragRat: thanks for the link, looks some great stuff there, have you tried C:geo yet? Thoughts on that if you have?

There seems to be a mixture of good and bad for these smartphones, I guess it depends where you are and what you are doing with it that either makes your day, or makes it difficult...

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 29 May 11 11:16 pm

Storm Chasers wrote: CragRat: thanks for the link, looks some great stuff there, have you tried C:geo yet? Thoughts on that if you have?
If you click on the Archive link you'll find my now slightly out of date review of it.
It's good, but there's better out there IMO (especially for those who cache on more than one site... c:geo is GC only)