Tracks, Maps, gpx and kmz

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
TiedyeSmileys
5000 or more caches found

Tracks, Maps, gpx and kmz

Post by TiedyeSmileys » 05 May 11 12:19 am

I have found a great site that has lots walks people have uploaded their gps tracks on. They are downloadable (which I done) in the form of both .kmz and .gpx.
I downloaded a bunch of them and put the .kmz files into a folder in Google Earth so I can see all these tracks.

What I would like to do is to put these onto our gps units (an oregon 300 and dakota 20) preferably as a single map that can be turned on or off so we can see and use them when navigating to caches.

I can see how I can put an individual .gpx file of one track at a time onto the gps, but this would only enable me to select one track at a time and only to navigate to.

What I would really like to do is combine or merge all these tracks into one single file and have that viewable on the gps.

Any thoughts if this can be done and how?

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Re: Tracks, Maps, gpx and kmz

Post by Philipp » 05 May 11 7:34 am

http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm

g7towin would do the trick for merging GPX files

TiedyeSmileys

Re: Tracks, Maps, gpx and kmz

Post by TiedyeSmileys » 05 May 11 8:23 am

Thanks for that part, I will look into it. I did find a different program that would merge the tracks, but not quite the way I wanted. As there are quite a number of isolated tracks in different locations, instead of making a single file with individual parts of a track, it joined them all up to make a single continuous track.
Do you know if g7towin will make a merge file with 'broken' segments and not try and join them all up for you?
Thanks