Garmin Map60c -HELP PLEASE

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Garmin Map60c -HELP PLEASE

Post by Chookies » 11 October 04 9:45 am

I am new to caching (only about 60 under the belt) & also to this forum stuff!
I can easily upload 100s of waypoints to the waypoint section of my Map60c, but can only upload about 60 or 70 waypoints to the dedicated geocaching section.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong or what I need to do? I would love to simply load ALL Vic. caches in at once, instead of just a few, based on where we are going for the day!

Thankyou in anticipation, Chookies.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 12 October 04 12:34 pm

Hi Chookies,

Could you please elaborate a bit more......

what software did you use to upload?

How do you know there is only 60-70 loaded?

Have you used the correct waypoint symbol to load ALL of the geocache waypoints? (seen people do it before :wink: )

BTw i have found no trouble loading ~220 caches (qld) into my 60CS using GSAK.

Regards

AGSMKY

teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by teamkittens » 12 October 04 1:05 pm

What name are you giving the waypoints you are uploading? Is it possible you have come up with a naming scheme like "Geocache ######" or the like which will be cut off and the cutoff names being mostly the same? (This will results in all the caches with the same cutoff name overwriting eachother).

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 12 October 04 1:43 pm

Thanks for such a prompt reply,
Firstly, I was incorrect in guessing that it was only the geocaching section which seemed to have problems downloading more than about 60 waypoints. The main waypoint section will also only carry about 60 at a time :( -So this is what I do, & maybe someone can tell me where I am going wrong:

I used gsak to export a mapsource mps file, selecting the geocache symbol (treasure chest) for all of the caches-(We only want to upload unfound caches).
I then fired up the mapsource program, using City Navigator v5, & opened the correct waypoint file, containing 383 caches (after we had done a sort/filter). All of the selected waypoints came accross from gsak into mapsource, appearing in the waypoint list on the left of the screen ( all marked as geocaches-unfound), as well as appearing on the map in the main body of the screen. I have let the programs select the cache names of which there is no standard prefix. I then clicked on the "save to USB GPS" button, located on the toolbar at the top, just under the "help" menu heading. It says the data was saved correctly (to the GPS).

When I then look at my GPS by going to the "find" menu, then selecting "Geocache", It shows me 9 caches per screen, and when I page down using the in/out buttons, displays 6 or 7 screens ( I think it is only 6screens). All up this only gives me a very limited number of caches & as home is the centerpoint, only allows me to do the 54 closest caches to home- :( Not much good if I'm over the other side of town.

Question: Could it be possible that all waypoints are entered in the GPS, but that the GPS will only show me the closest 60 to where I am currently at????

If you are able to help in any way I would sincerely appreciate it.
:? Thanks from Chookies

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 12 October 04 2:39 pm

I think I may have worked some of it out :lol: . I can now get each of the waypoints (about 600) to appear on the map screen of the GPS, But yet can still only scroll through about 50-60 waypoints (after doing a "Find-waypoints", or a "Find -Geocache") before the scrolling comes back to the first one.

I am therefore guessing, that the GPS, when doing a find, will only show me the closest 50-60 waypoints. -Any idea's on how to increase the number displayed in the "Find" list ???????

Thanks again,
The Rookie from Chookies.

teamkittens

Post by teamkittens » 12 October 04 2:56 pm

The GPSmap 60/C/S will only show a limited number of nearby waypoints in the geocaching find mode. To find caches that are not among the nearest just hit the menu button and select "Find by name" to select a specific waypoint. You could also just select the caches from the map screen by scrolling around and selecting them with enter..

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 14 October 04 12:42 am

I can't quite remember the all finer points of the 60C (GME made me return their demo model for stocktake :cry: ) but see if you can set "alphabetical" rather than "nearest". This will show you all waypoints in the list.... I know Magellan has this option and I think Garmin does also.

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 15 October 04 10:31 pm

THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, so much :lol:

This Forum bizzo is great, & more importantly, your help is wonderful :P
I sincerely thank you!

I didn't even know that " You could also just select the caches from the map screen by scrolling around and selecting them with enter.." (Thanks team Kittens).

If it is not too much to ask, I have another question Re my new toy?

Q. When entering a cache name or an address (whilst doing a find), the database gradually narrows it down (as I enter more info.)until it has just a few street names; Then the curser jumps into the field below so that you may select a street name (or suburb etc) from the list shown. Often it would seem quicker to jump into the field below to select the correct name (already viewable), prior to entering more data & thus causing the curser to jump automatically. Can I choose to jump into that field below somehow, and simply scroll through the names of streets/suburbs etc ?

Once again, Thankyou for all of the help already gained.
Sincerely,
Chookies

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 16 October 04 11:21 am

Hi Chookie,

Select the OK button (instead of selecting more letters/numbers) when you are ready to scroll through the selection......too easy :lol:

Regards

AGSMKY

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 16 October 04 11:52 am

as a short cut I push PAGE and then scroll down or if you get the updated software it can be quicker if your looking for street names

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 16 October 04 11:59 am

Oh.....forgot about that shortcut even though i have used it with other menus :oops:

AGSMKY

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 16 October 04 2:29 pm

You guy's are awesome :lol: -Thanks a million

Only problem is, Now I'm going to jump back on here again, when I get stuck & can't figure something out for myself (again).

Once again; Thankyou Sincerely,
Dave from Chookies

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 16 October 04 3:01 pm

O.K -So I didn't last long before coming up with another question :roll:

Q: When exporting from GSAK to MapSource (City Nav. v5), I have been refining the details (in the cache description format) to include desired info (eg, Ratings, Clues, Container size etc.), So that this info when uploaded to my Map60C will be available in the "Note" section of the geocaching screen.

I have exported from GSAK after setting
The Cache name with "%smart=40",
Maximum Characters to 60,
& Cache Description Format to "(%Dif/%Ter), %hint=60, %con1, %by"

All appears to flow well into Mapsource. However when I look on the GPS,
A) The cache name is still limited to about 10 Characters, &
B) The "Note" section is still limited to about 28 Characters.

Any ideas :?:

Thanks Heaps,
from Chookies.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 17 October 04 7:43 am

Hi Chookies,

The waypoint name will always be limited to a max of 10 characters.......this is a limitation in your GPS........Older GPSrs are less :shock:

I set my waypoint names to the GC code (%code)...... Using the smart tag with a limit of 40 characters :shock: defeats the purpose of the smart tag :wink: Set the limit to 10 for your GPS and check out the resultant waypoint names.

Waypoint descriptions are limited to 30 chararcters.....better than nothing :roll:

Regards

AGSMKY

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 17 October 04 8:05 pm

In the "Note" field of the Geocaching section/page, it would appear there is space for 4 full lines of text, Hence my question re more info.. Thankyou for the info. posted

I very much appreciate the time you have all put in, essentially to helping me with my new toy.

Thankyou sincerely,

Chookies :D