Help needed with garmin etrex.

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Stubby Holder
200 or more found
200 or more found

Help needed with garmin etrex.

Post by Stubby Holder » 15 September 04 3:07 pm

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions to do with a problem I have with my etrex. It wont track satellites. Used it on Saturday geocaching - no problems. On Sunday in the middle of Sydney Park it wont track satellites.

Changed batteries still wont work. Changed batteries from a brand new packet still no good. Left it on for a long time, still wont work. Swore at it, still no good. It comes up with an error message and eventually tries to auto locate but still no good.

Im guessing that I will have to take it back to Garmin for repair or replacement. I have already had to replace one unit after putting it through the washing machine :cry: after a trip to the Budawangs. Any help would be appreciated.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 15 September 04 3:48 pm

Dunno if it helps, but try powering it on with the top left and right buttons pushed at the same time to bring up the info screen, it may show something in there. At least I think from memory it's the top ones.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: Help needed with garmin etrex.

Post by Ebenezer » 15 September 04 4:17 pm

Stubby Holder wrote:On Sunday in the middle of Sydney Park
I hope you end up finding the cache! Yeah - maybe try the reset thing. The buttons you press for reset are different for different kinds of etrex. If the above doesn't work for you post here, and I will try to find the doc that shows the reset sequence for all models.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 15 September 04 9:32 pm

Only other suggestion I have is to try reflashing the firmware. This is available for download off the Garmin site and if you have the interface cable then just reload it, shouldn't matter even if it is the same version.

Not that I have ever seen this problem with a GPS, but have seen it cure similar things on other electronic equipment like wireless LAN routers etc.

Stubby Holder
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Stubby Holder » 16 September 04 2:49 pm

I just tried reflashing the firmware and it works. Thanks for the advice.

Richary

Post by Richary » 16 September 04 8:46 pm

Glad to be of service 8) As mentioned have seen it before on other stuff, something must get corrupted just a little, not enough to show up in whatever sort of self checks it does on bootup.