Wherigo

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
aussie-O's
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Wherigo

Post by aussie-O's » 30 May 10 1:34 pm

I've got 2 questions. Firstly is there a wherigo builder for mac, and are you allowed to use someone else's wherigo (with their permission) for a wherigo geocache. I really think that we need a Wherigo cache here in WA, so I am hoping to build one.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Wherigo

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 30 May 10 6:19 pm

I just installed an Android WIG app, so go for it! Dunno on the Mac builder, and I'd suggest asking the owner of the cart if they'd mind you adapting it for your cache. They're probably a long way away (not many places aren't from WA!) and might not mind.

aussie-O's
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussie-O's » 30 May 10 7:33 pm

PBL, would a Wherigo cache be published if I did that?
Papa Bear_Left wrote:I just installed an Android WIG app, so go for it! Dunno on the Mac builder, and I'd suggest asking the owner of the cart if they'd mind you adapting it for your cache. They're probably a long way away (not many places aren't from WA!) and might not mind.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 31 May 10 12:30 am

If there's a link to a valid WIG cart that gives you GPS coords for a container with a logbook, why wouldn't it be published?

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 31 May 10 1:06 pm

May I ask "what is Whereigo?" There's a couple of caches not far from me (15km or so) but apparently you need a certain GPS type? Is this one of those big ideas that has never really grown due to technological limitations? What do you actually do that's different? I'm sure there's a Q&A here somewhere but this is a good opportunity to ask isn't it?

I've just had a look at these two and I'm none the wiser. Having never used anything other than an Etrex H I don't know what you get on a fancy GPSr.

The Aussie Farmer Goes Caching
The Search for Ned Kelly and the Stolen Treasure

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 31 May 10 2:55 pm

The site's here: http://www.wherigo.com/

Basically, it's a location-aware program that runs on your smartphone or high-end GPSr (almost the same thing these days!)

The common use is to pop up new screens when you reach a given spot, which might be absolute (a lat/long) or relative (to a starting point), which can lead you on to the next point or just tell you something about where you're standing now.

To make a GC Wherigo geocache, you need to also meet the requirements of all caches, i.e. accurate GPSr coords and a container with a logbook, as well as linking to one of these programs on the wherigo.com site.

I've never done one, as I'd've had to lug a laptop around with me to do it, but now that I have a smartphone, I must give them a go.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 31 May 10 3:23 pm

That's a web-based builder which works pretty good: http://www.earwigo.net/

unfortunately you have to register first because it's still beta

Cheers

aussie-O's
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussie-O's » 31 May 10 10:58 pm

How do you get an account?

Philipp
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 31 May 10 11:22 pm

sorry ... you have to mail Nick: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid ... 6b4c386cf2

there is also a German thread but I guess that's not really helping - http://www.geoclub.de/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=29551

cheers

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 01 June 10 12:20 am

There's also a German application that works in a similar way, but is available for many more devices.

www.gpsmission.com

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 17 February 12 5:10 pm

Reviving an old thread but why not?

I've just found a Whereigo app for Android and downloaded it but when you go to the Whereigo site on the smartphone and download the cartridge it only offers a number of Garmin GPSrs and "PocketPC". I've selected this but nothing happens.

Do you download it to the PC first and then transfer it to the phone from there?

Still haven't done one. Was going to borrow a fancy Colorado but that's not happened.

Drop Bears is the only unfound cache within 10km of home...

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 17 February 12 8:26 pm

Yurt wrote:Reviving an old thread but why not?

I've just found a Whereigo app for Android and downloaded it but when you go to the Whereigo site on the smartphone and download the cartridge it only offers a number of Garmin GPSrs and "PocketPC". I've selected this but nothing happens.

Do you download it to the PC first and then transfer it to the phone from there?

Still haven't done one. Was going to borrow a fancy Colorado but that's not happened.

Drop Bears is the only unfound cache within 10km of home...
Hey Yurt :)

For a mobile, it really doesn't matter what file type you download. PocketPC is good just for the sake of it because an android is closer to a PPC than anything else.

I don't actually have any experience in Android, but I know that on the Wherigo app for iPhone, you can download it straight to the phone.

Maybe you could try going to the Wherigo site in your mobile browser, download it and then opening it through the app?

If that doesn't work, just load it onto the phone.

Now, go get that last cache!! :D :D

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 04 March 12 2:35 am

Ive found a dozen WIGs using the Pocket PC Carts on the Android App... some are too buggy to play, but most work well :D

FelixII
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by FelixII » 13 March 12 11:40 am

We have done 2 now using the Android app. 'Where you go' for android.

worked okay once got going \:D/

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 09 July 12 12:05 am

Still haven't found one, this has fallen off the radar lately. However I've tried 'Whereyougo' and it doesn't work at all.

When I tried to download the file on Pocket PC it downloads but when I open it c:geo takes over and it fails...
Dunno what to do.