Map making software help/questions

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
NotHisRealName

Map making software help/questions

Post by NotHisRealName » 21 September 09 3:09 pm

Hello, I'm very new to geocaching (not yet 1 week at the point of writing this), and recently purchased a Garmin GPSMAP60CSx, with Topo Australia software on CD.

Now, as you may know, this gives me access to Mapsource, and Basecamp software, and I've since also downloaded Dooghan's 'Contours Australia 5m'.

On Saturday I walked out a number of tracks around a scout ground, and uploaded them to my PC.
I've then used Basecamp to move the waypoints so that different tracks intersect correctly, and uploaded the waypoints for bridges, water tanks, and buildings.

However, I'm wondering if there is any other mapping software (or preferably an add-on) out there that would allow me to manipulate a printable to include user-defined grid references?
Currently I'm using a graphic editing program to overlay a grid (and overlay the 5m contours over the 20m contour, and overlay the track on top of all that), but it's been a slow process, and if I change the scale of the map, I will have to re-do the grid.

Also, are there any downloadable waypoint icons that can be used in place of the default icons? I'm after a more traditional bridge icon (similar to ] [ ) specificly, but would like to see what else is out there.

Finally, I've found there is some difference between the capabilities of Basecamp and Mapsource (I find Basecamp easier to use - can move waypoints), are there any add-ons that enable you to edit tracks more efficiently?
When I walked the length of one track, then doubled back about half way to an intersection to start a new track, they all linked from start point to end point. I wasn't able to enter it as an intersection.

I hope all that makes sense...