Contours Australia 5m

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Dooghan

Contours Australia 5m

Post by Dooghan » 30 August 09 10:29 pm

I've finally finished the latest version of Contours Australia over the last couple of weeks and are FREE of charge as usual. The maps cover all of Australia at 5m contour intervals now. I've added a bit more detail to the preview maps in Mapsource, like coast lines, state borders and town/city locations. This is to be used as a reference, to help people know where the location they are looking at and to make it easier to select the tiles people need to download to the GPS. The coast lines, state borders and town/city locations is only viewable in Mapsource and is not downloaded to the GPS. It's a big download at 2GB. I've only got the win32 up on the site at the moment. I'll upload the Linux and Mac versions over the next few days. You can get it from my site

www.lizarddrinking.net

or

www.lizarddrinking.com

Load on my 60CSx

In Mapsource

Another Mapsource image
Last edited by Dooghan on 07 February 10 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Re: Contours Australia 5m

Post by SG-3 » 30 August 09 11:02 pm

I'm very excited! I love the 10m ones you've done!

Just a question: Will it be available, as the 10m one was, on disk from the link listed on your downloads page?

My Broadband plan is both slow and small download allowance-wise, so have no qualms handing over some cash to have a disk burned and mailed!

Love your work!

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 30 August 09 11:34 pm

It will be. I sent a DVD over to WA on wednesday so you will have to give it another week. I would call up to place your order just to make sure the DVD sent got there.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 31 August 09 9:55 am

I would be more interested in the raw data - though I am guessing it is pretty big. The reason is we use software at work to do calculations on microwave link paths, which uses the 3 second SRTM dataset. This has a horizontal accuracy of about 90 metres from memory so can easily miss the crest of a hill etc.

Whether it is available in a format the software (Pathloss) will use is a different question.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 31 August 09 10:50 am

dumb question or perhaps great question,
is the 5m actually more accurate or just extrapolated 10m data.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 31 August 09 8:27 pm

richary wrote:I would be more interested in the raw data - though I am guessing it is pretty big. The reason is we use software at work to do calculations on microwave link paths, which uses the 3 second SRTM dataset. This has a horizontal accuracy of about 90 metres from memory so can easily miss the crest of a hill etc.

Whether it is available in a format the software (Pathloss) will use is a different question.
I used the SRTM data for this version. I was 95% done when the ASTGTM data came out. From memory it's 20m 95% of the time. The data is in some sort of DEM .TIF format. I don't have the link any more sorry.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 31 August 09 8:34 pm

mtrax wrote:dumb question or perhaps great question,
is the 5m actually more accurate or just extrapolated 10m data.
No it's not more accurate. The holes in the data have been filled in this version. I've started the next version which will be based on the ASTGTM data.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 01 September 09 5:49 pm

Not sure if I'm missing something, but I've downloaded the file, verified the checksum and unzipped it and run the .exe - but all it seems to do is create a directory in the "install" location with an uninstall entry in it.

The .zip files contains the 2 files -

ca5m.7z (2,158,318 Kb)
and
contours_australia_5m.exe (179 Kb)

Should I be doing something other than just running the .exe ?

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 01 September 09 7:59 pm

Geodes wrote:Not sure if I'm missing something, but I've downloaded the file, verified the checksum and unzipped it and run the .exe - but all it seems to do is create a directory in the "install" location with an uninstall entry in it.

The .zip files contains the 2 files -

ca5m.7z (2,158,318 Kb)
and
contours_australia_5m.exe (179 Kb)

Should I be doing something other than just running the .exe ?
Well it shouldn't be doing that. The .exe is to open the ca5m.7z and install the files from there. Go into the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Contours Australia 5m. Try and install it again. If it doesn't work you can manually install the files. You will need 7 Zip (http://www.7-zip.org) to open ca5m.7z. You will need to extract all the files to C:\Program Files\Contours Australia 5m When you done that you will need to install registry settings. All you will need to do is double click on Contours5m.reg file in the C:\Program Files\Contours Australia 5m directory. A box will pop up. Just click yes to it and it should be all install now.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 01 September 09 9:42 pm

Dooghan wrote:Well it shouldn't be doing that. The .exe is to open the ca5m.7z and install the files from there. Go into the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Contours Australia 5m. Try and install it again. If it doesn't work you can manually install the files. You will need 7 Zip (http://www.7-zip.org) to open ca5m.7z. You will need to extract all the files to C:\Program Files\Contours Australia 5m When you done that you will need to install registry settings. All you will need to do is double click on Contours5m.reg file in the C:\Program Files\Contours Australia 5m directory. A box will pop up. Just click yes to it and it should be all install now.
Thanks Dooghan: I've left it at work tonight, but I'll check it out tomorrow and report back :lol:

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 02 September 09 12:22 am

I'm a DH. I had the .exe pointing to the ca5m.7z file on my D drive which is just not going to work. I've fixed the .exe and currently testing it on a couple of PC's. I'll upload and post a link shortly.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 02 September 09 12:17 pm

OK Dooghan, I followed your instructions and everything looks great - the 5m contours look much "smoother" than the V2 10m ones (as well as providing a finer resolution, of course) and will be a great enhancement to my outdoors GPS based experiences =D> The range of community-based mapping information now available is getting really impressive and I'm glad I've been able to contribute a bit too via the Open StreetMap Project

Many thanks for your hard work \:D/

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 02 September 09 8:34 pm

Anyone that has downloaded CA5m here is the patch. Just over write the old contours_australia_5m.exe with this new one [link removed]. I installed CA5m on 3 different PC (2 XP and 1 Vista) and no problems. I've also taken the contours_australia_5m_win32.zip off line while I get the new one on the server.
Last edited by Dooghan on 18 October 09 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 03 September 09 10:42 am

OMG! Went to download the info but with the pathetic broadband we have - estimated download time was 24hrs :x Looks like we will have to order it by DVD.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 03 September 09 12:26 pm

The full version (fixed up) can be downloaded again. I've also added the linux version to the download page. The Mac version may have to wait until next month as I'm just about out of bandwidth. I'll see how I go unless someone wants to be a beta tester?