OziExplorer 3D

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

OziExplorer 3D

Post by EcoTeam » 29 July 04 11:14 am

Does anyone have any (or know of any links to) height data for the Blue Mountains area, suitable for OziExplorer 3D?

I have the topo maps but want to create some 3D images of the various canyon regions.

I wish you could just highlight each contour line and manually enter the height!

Thanks
Dave :)

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 29 July 04 2:36 pm

There is 9 second DEM data available that I believe could be loaded up in Ozi 3D. Haven't tried it, and the data is probably not of a very useable scale for canyon plotting (my calculations say that 9 seconds latitude is about 270m in the Sydney region).

More info in the OziUsers-L yahoogroup.

- Rog

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 July 04 11:22 pm

I have the 9 sec DEM data officially for work. One of my jobs is microwave links so we can see if a link is even feasible before heading out to do an actual site survey.

Some features like Wilpena Pound in SA look impressive.

alex
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 29 July 04 11:31 pm

The 9 second DEM data is available from good mapshops (hint - Carto Graphics!) and costs $99 for all of Australia. However, as Mind Socket points out, 9 second data points equal roughly one point every 250 metres or so. It is quite fun to play with but I don't get any caching advantage from it. You can get some very limited East coast data at 3 second resolution free from the Geoscience Australia website, ( www.ga.gov.au ) but even this would not show most Blue Mountains canyons; they don't even show on the 1:25k topos.

alex

Post by alex » 29 July 04 11:43 pm

OK Richary, how did you get that image from Ozi3D into the forum?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 29 July 04 11:56 pm

alex wrote:OK Richary, how did you get that image from Ozi3D into the forum?
Click the quote button on his post and have a look. :wink:

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 30 July 04 1:39 pm

alex wrote:The 9 second DEM data is available from good mapshops (hint - Carto Graphics!) and costs $99 for all of Australia. However, as Mind Socket points out, 9 second data points equal roughly one point every 250 metres or so. It is quite fun to play with but I don't get any caching advantage from it. You can get some very limited East coast data at 3 second resolution free from the Geoscience Australia website, ( www.ga.gov.au ) but even this would not show most Blue Mountains canyons; they don't even show on the 1:25k topos.
Do you have a direct pointer to that data Alex?, I can't seem to find it.

I don't want data to show the actual canyon slots, that's not practical, but it would be nice to plot the general terrain and the walks in/out. I'd like to be able to put the plots on my canyon web site.

EcoDave :)

Richary

Post by Richary » 30 July 04 3:11 pm

alex wrote:OK Richary, how did you get that image from Ozi3D into the forum?
I used the IMG button at the top and then put the location of the file (hidden on my homepage) to it. So it actually grabs that image off the ozemail site.