HTML tips for creating Cache pages.

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Damo.

HTML tips for creating Cache pages.

Post by Damo. » 25 July 04 9:48 pm

I have found some helpful pages with instructions for HTML for my Cache pages, but are there more comprehensive lists around someone could point me to? <p>
I have very little experience with it and specifically, I am wanting to find out the option to either center the background graphic or stretch it to avoid the image being tiled and still be 'fixed'. Do I just need a higher res pic?

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 25 July 04 10:26 pm

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 25 July 04 10:35 pm

Yes! That's the "helpful pages" I have been using! How did you know? LOL <br>
Options for backgrounds other than BGPROPERTIES="fixed" is the kind of thing I am after. <br>
Hmm. On doing a search it seems that BGPROPERTIES has to equal fixed... It's just to stop it scrolling. How do I stretch the background image to fit the page then?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 26 July 04 12:34 am

Damo. wrote:Yes! That's the "helpful pages" I have been using! How did you know? LOL <br>
Options for backgrounds other than BGPROPERTIES="fixed" is the kind of thing I am after. <br>
Hmm. On doing a search it seems that BGPROPERTIES has to equal fixed... It's just to stop it scrolling. How do I stretch the background image to fit the page then?
Big background images are not good - they eat bandwidth and can be slow to load for those using dial up connections. Try either a tiled background or make use of areas of background colour in a borderless table with detail in some cells if you must have a fancy background.

As an aside, some cache pages with images and backgrounds do not render correctly when being reviewed - this makes them difficult to review.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 26 July 04 1:47 am

I use
<BODY BACKGROUND="http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/xxx.jpg" BGPROPERTIES="fixed">
for my pages and even though the image is tiled - it does not scroll...

What effect are you trying to achieve???

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 26 July 04 6:03 pm

leek wrote:What effect are you trying to achieve???
The image not being tiled.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 26 July 04 7:12 pm

Damo. wrote:
where is it?

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 26 July 04 9:02 pm

You can use style sheets to stop background tiling, I'm not sure if they are permissable by GC.com I've never tried. The problem might arise when you stop it tiling as the image will then be centered and thus possibly hidden by the GC.com text overlay.

<style type="text/css">
body
{
background:url(bgImage.jpg) no-repeat;
}
</style>

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 28 July 04 7:29 pm

riblit wrote:
Damo. wrote:
where is it?
<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 5">Here</a> is an example. The image I originally uploaded was 640x480 and only 40k or so. GC.com reformats whatever image you post so I could have it offsite a bit larger. Maybe that would be ok if it was centred? <p>

Tried your suggested code TLC but it doesn't seem to work. Tried in addition to the exisiting background code as well as instead of. I might have been putting the url in incorrectly though.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 28 July 04 10:11 pm

Oh Yay! :lol: Fixed it! Just put the picture up in 1024x768 on onother site. A screen resolution I think a large percentage of us use. Good on a 17" Monitor. Think it's about 150kb. Doesn't take too long and as the background is the last thing to load. Not noticable. Let me know how it looks.
Thnaks for all your help. :D