Mio 168 or Pin Navman

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
crit

Mio 168 or Pin Navman

Post by crit » 22 July 04 10:51 pm

Hi there, new to this, I am thinking of getting the new Mio 168 (Mitac) it comes with the Co-pilot 4.5. Navman Pin and the Miro seems to be the same unit.
i guess I realise the in car ones should be the better unit, but what I can see these little handhelds seems to hold there own. plus I get a PDA as well.
At a $1000 it is on the upper level of what my wife can afford.

Bryan Shean

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 22 July 04 11:01 pm

Have a look here. By far the cheapest place I know of to buy a gps.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/

I have purchased many things from them and have had no problems ever.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 22 July 04 11:32 pm

Unless you absolutely MUST have your PDA and GPS in the same unit, don't get an integrated PDA and GPS, you will regret it.
A real GPS like a Garmin or Magellan unit will be MUCH more versatile and rugged. You will ruin a PDA/GPS in no time while geocaching (putting a stick through the delicate screen, dropping it, getting it wet etc) not to mention that it's inconvenient to carry and use at the same time. A good GPS for instance will have a nice wrist strap so you hang it around your neck while scrambling over rocks etc.
A basic Garmin eTrex (or Foretrex) can be had for under $200, in fact around $150 or less on eBay. That will be more than you'll ever need in a GPS for caching and many other sports, and then you have heaps of money left over to spend on a PDA if you need it. Not that you need to spend more than $50 on a PDA (Palm V for instance) if it's only for Geocaching use to hold HTML cache pages etc.
So you could be completely kitted out for geocaching with an excellent GPS and usable PDA for under $200. Spend the rest on your wife :wink:

EcoDave :)

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 21 February 05 12:10 pm

This thread is over 8 months old now, but why not recycle it, I'm into EcoThreads :D

Since this thread was started has anyone gone the Navman/Mio route - apart from energizer in Tassie? I've been playing with energizers Navman and I'm really taken by it, but it is very pricey and EcoTeams points about it being fragile and not being able to take the rough and tumble in the field are valid.

I love the idea of having a bunch of maps in my pocket that can be accessed at any time (OziCE). We climbed Bell Mountain yesterday to do "Alexander Graham" (yes naff isn't it :roll: ) and there were perfect 360º views from the top, but I really didn't know what was what. The conversation went along the lines of "Hey Craig what's that mountain over there", "Dunno" - "That's a pretty empty lake, what is it", "Dunno" - "Is that our car down there", "Dunno". I figured with a Navman I could educate both of us, amongst the other positives. But some of the negatives are price, fragility and access to replacement batteries(?).

Anyone having any comments to add?

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 21 February 05 12:49 pm

I have my Magellan Meridian Platinum with DAST loaded and it does everything except for automatic street routing.