gpsmap76cs or gpsmap60cs

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen

gpsmap76cs or gpsmap60cs

Post by teamkittens » 15 July 04 3:55 pm

I'm having great trouble finding much in the way of feature difference between these two GPSs. Can anyone tell me any particular reason why one of these is better than the other?

Oh this is other than the Geocaching specific features listed for the gpsmap60cs.

Navigull
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Navigull » 16 July 04 1:30 pm

The same question was raised on the New Zealand forum see
http://gps.org.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?t=719

It appears the 76CS is larger in physical size, memory size and very slightly in display size, along with the fact that it floats.

Wallabies

Post by Wallabies » 19 July 04 1:28 am

I recently purchased the GPSmap60c and I love it to bits. I went through the same quandry as yourself, but with the c versions, not the cs and went for the 60c. The only reason being the ease of use. I found the 60c was heaps easier to use with one hand. This has proven to be a great feature when driving and cycling/mtb'ing

The maps loaded are very basic, but welcome. I will connect it to my PDA (as I did with my E Venture) as soon as I can get the cables.

I couldn?t justify the extra dosh for the CS, just to get a compass etc. I already have a good compass.

I can not believe how good the 60c has been on batteries. I am running rechargeable NImh batteries and they have lasted a loooonnnnggg time. I was a little wary of the colour display and it's use in sunlight but those concerns were totally unwarranted. I have also found that I am getting much, much better reception than I ever did with my Etrex.

woodiebro

Post by woodiebro » 20 July 04 5:21 pm

I have just bought the Map60c and it is fantastic the colour display is good in all lights and in particular sunlight, it is very customizable and easy to use. The battery power is great, to give you an idea I purchased on Monday of last week and played with it extensively both downloading and uploading as well as generally playing, I then whent caching on the weekend and it ran out of battery yesterday, I would say I got close to 30 hrs as they claim. I have loaded Metro guide and will be loading Blue Charts for my other past time boating

teamkittens

Post by teamkittens » 19 August 04 6:14 pm

I do like the geocache finding feature (even if it is only a subset of the usual find menu)
<br><br>

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 19 August 04 6:52 pm

So which did you get?

teamkittens

Post by teamkittens » 20 August 04 11:40 am

Oh its the GPSMAP60CS, wasn't really me who got it, work had a use for one and wanted my advice onwhich to get which I was happy to give as I can get away with borrowing it most of the time.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 26 August 04 7:01 pm

While we are talking about the GPSMAP60CS, I just bought one on ebay (at a good price :) )and depending on wether it arrives before monday I'm going to take it or if it arrives later my mate is going to buy off me.
My question is, which maps are compatible with it for Australia and Europe.
I did some research on it but cant work out if the Metroguide Mapsource supports the autonavigation in this model...
Can anybody tell me from experience?

Chookies
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Chookies » 11 October 04 9:28 am

I have recently purchased a map60c, & did a lot of homework re the software & auto routing. Mapsource metroguide does not support Auto routing, whereas mapsource City navigator does. I have purchased the later at $350 & split the cost with a friend (it is designed/sold to be legally down/uploaded to 2 different computers/GPS units) =$175 each. Amazing how often it is correct in chosing the faster/easier route. The one handed operation is easy, the clour screen is phenomenally different & easier to read than any other clour screen I have ever seen (outside of these two), including in the daylight. I would purchase the same tommorrow quite happily. Incidentally, this is only my second post, so I hope it is appropriate to say that I purchased ours from johnny appleseed in melbourne, for (under $800) a price FAR lower than any competitor. As a result, the follow up ability, service, potential warranty claims, etc are all far easier with a retail outlet.

My only question re the unit is loading (more than 70) waypoints into the dedicated geocaching section, (the unit will take over 1000), but will try and launch a topic on this as soon as I work out how. If anyone knows in the meantime, your help would be much appreciated.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 14 October 04 12:57 am

ToolKit asked
but cant work out if the Metroguide Mapsource supports the autonavigation in this model...
Can anybody tell me from experience?
MetroGuide does not provide auto-routing in any unit. City Navigator is the required program and will work in 60 series, GPS V, Street Pilot, iQue and 76C series.

Chookies said
a price FAR lower than any competitor
I'll say it again, Carto Graphics in Adelaide loves an opportunity to undercut johnny appleseed for a geocacher. Just ask me.

As for the difference between the 60c and 76c the only stand-out feature seems to be the greater memory of the 78C - 125mB versus 54ishmB. The 76C allows you to run MetroGuide and City Navigator with room left over for a marine chart or two.

Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

GPSmap76S

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 15 October 04 6:26 pm

Well, I just recently purchased a GPSmap 76S. That's the one with the B&W screen, but with the compass & baromateric altimeter. I'm extremely happy with it, but it only has a meagre 24mb of memory. I don't know if the colour units require more memory for the coloured maps or not, but I've been told that it will hold most of Australia's maps and a few marine charts at the same time. It's a little bit hungry though, consuming 2x AA cells every 20 hours or so, although you can increase that considerably by manually engaging the compass only when you want to you use it. The compass has been very very useful for geocaching, and I've found it to be unbeleievably accurate. It's very rare when it reports an estimated error of 9m or more, and even then the real location is still usually within 2m of where it's reporting. It averages 4-5m accuracy estimate. Oh, and it floats! All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Re: GPSmap76S

Post by Map Monkey » 16 October 04 11:51 am

Big Red Expeditions wrote:Well, I just recently purchased a GPSmap 76S. That's the one with the B&W screen, but with the compass & baromateric altimeter. I'm extremely happy with it, but it only has a meagre 24mb of memory. I don't know if the colour units require more memory for the coloured maps or not, but I've been told that it will hold most of Australia's maps and a few marine charts at the same time.
They should use the same memory (colours become 4 shades of grey) as the data is in a vector format
It's a little bit hungry though, consuming 2x AA cells every 20 hours or so,
pretty much standard these days......most GPSr's will last around 20-30 hours on whatever size/shape of battery they use.
although you can increase that considerably by manually engaging the compass only when you want to you use it. The compass has been very very useful for geocaching, and I've found it to be unbeleievably accurate.
go the compass 8)
It's very rare when it reports an estimated error of 9m or more, and even then the real location is still usually within 2m of where it's reporting.
:? Are you really, really sure of this fact :wink:
It averages 4-5m accuracy estimate.
hate to say it, but most GPSr's average this in normal conditions also :wink:
Oh, and it floats! All in all, I'm very happy with it.
The one area i find the new colour screens are of benefit is in being better to view in sunlight......try one out and you'll never look back :lol:

Regards

AGSMKY