Problem with Serial to USB Converter

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Alby

problem

Post by Alby » 23 July 04 9:34 am

OOPs, I shold have said that the programme tries to connect with the gps and seems to time out. Yes, I can send and recieve waypoints with nmea off. No I cannot view anything inreal time nmea on or off. It just tries to connect and seems to time out.

I am going to see if it will work on another pc through the serial port before going any futher just to rule out the GPSR as being faulty first. Then I will use the usb to serial cable on the same pc to see if there is a problem there. Magellan have not yet got back to me.

Alby

Magellan???Where? what support??!!

Post by Alby » 31 October 04 12:02 pm

It seems after waiting a long time for any sort of response from Magellan I have found the best way to fix the problem of GPSR not being found by Magellan map send with aserial-USB converter or from timing out. 1. if usiing windows XP install service pack 2.

2. Buy yourself a copy of OZI explorer.. No problems at all....even faster and NMEA can be left on so no more jumping around menues!!!!!

3. Works like a dream with most USB conveterters. Go OZI EXPLORER!!!!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Magellan???Where? what support??!!

Post by riblit » 31 October 04 12:08 pm

Alby wrote:It seems after waiting a long time for any sort of response from Magellan I have found the best way to fix the problem of GPSR not being found by Magellan map send with aserial-USB converter or from timing out. 1. if usiing windows XP install service pack 2.

2. Buy yourself a copy of OZI explorer.. No problems at all....even faster and NMEA can be left on so no more jumping around menues!!!!!

3. Works like a dream with most USB conveterters. Go OZI EXPLORER!!!!
WinXP seems to think that a usb connection with data on it during boot is a usb mouse. I disconnect the GPSr from the cable (leaving the cable plugged into the laptop) to stop this unsociable behaviour. When it boots I connect the two together and away it goes.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 31 October 04 1:06 pm

I get the same with it acting as a mouse if connected on boot. I have noticed with the latest version of GSAK I can now talk to the Foretrex using the USB, but still not the eTrex - that still needs Ozi.

Haven't put service pack 2 on this yet, but then it needs a reinstall anyway.

juzmac
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Re: Still no Go

Post by juzmac » 06 November 04 2:17 pm

Alby wrote:I have checked all the settings, still it does not detect the GPSR when I start the log. Still send and recieve waypoints, tracks. Even autodetect tells me the GPSRis there. I just get the settings might be wrong and the unit may be broken message. The baude rate is fine, Nmea is ON. Still stumped.
We've had a few issues with the USB to serial on our laptop with real time mapping and discoveraus...

What we actually figured out was that you should get the laptop powered up and then plug in the USB connector (everything else can stay connected all the time). Once that's in and you hear the USB sound - plug in the GPSr and power that up... all should be fine...

we've tested this time and time again... sometimes we forget to turn off the real time mapping when getting out of the car... basically you just need to unplug the usb and plug it back in again to restart the usb interface and off you go... (again once you plug it back in again to the laptop, plug the gpsr back in)...

it seems to be because of the differences between USB and serial... USB is hot swappable but serial isn't so there is something going on between the two when making the connection - like it gets stuck in a busy mode...

we haven't had to change the nmea settings or the baud rate (in fact we generally run the baud rate at 57600 with no issues) when downloading / uploading waypoints etc....

i hope this rambling helps everyone....

cheers
justin

Alby

Serial converter probs

Post by Alby » 01 March 05 9:38 am

It seems I have gotten lucky. My Meridian was communicating with laptop through the converter and was able to send and recive waypoints. both in Aussie and Mapsend.

I could use moving map in aussie but not Mapsend. However it would time out while trying to connect for moving map in mapsend. Tried this with all baude rates and NMEA settings. No Luck..

In desperation I used a Registry Mechanic from here http://www.cybertechhelp.com It found a few errors and fixed them, now it works with no hassels at all!!!!!

I have XP Home Ed with SP2.