Google Earth on new computer

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found

Google Earth on new computer

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 23 March 09 7:58 pm

Had to get a new computer as the old one died but can't get Google Earth to show where all the caches are when using the overlay. It says "Geocaching.com Caches located in the view window of Google Earth". Where is that and how do I turn them on?? Any help, please...

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Who stole the caches

Post by If » 23 March 09 8:58 pm

I downloaded the latest version of GE a couple of nights ago :D
I noticed the KMZ thingymagig for showing caches had disappeared and downloaded it again from the Geocaching website.
But it doesn't work !! It does do the normal flashing yellow bit that shows it is searching, but then turns red, showing that it isn't working :(
Either an incompatability with the latest version of GE or the server at Geocaching.com is too busy or has a problem too :shock:

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 23 March 09 9:05 pm

Jabiru230
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Jabiru230 » 23 March 09 9:13 pm

I had been having problems with displaying the Geocaching icons in Google Earth since upgrading to version 5.0 but this was that it was displaying Yellow Pins instead of the Geocaching symbols.

I found that by making the "Geocaching Network KML" folder in the Places folder list non-expanding it shows the correct symbols.

Try the following :- Right click the "Geocaching Network KML" folder and select properties. In the properties box, untick - "Allow this folder to expand".

Give it a try and see if it helps.

Cheers

Jabiru230

Post by Jabiru230 » 23 March 09 9:27 pm

I'm having the same problem now with nothing being displayed. Downloaded the KML again but no better.

flower1
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by flower1 » 23 March 09 9:36 pm

I'm still running version 4.3.7284.3916 (beta) (because I've heard there are a few probs with the new version) and I'm having the same problem as you all are having. The last time this happened I blew away the old KML and downloaded it again from GC but no luck this time.

I've just used the link in Damo's post and even though it doesn't look like what I'm used to, at least I can see the caches now.

Cheers

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 March 09 10:22 pm

flower1 wrote: I've just used the link in Damo's post and even though it doesn't look like what I'm used to, at least I can see the caches now.
It's also got more caches than the other links too :wink: :lol:

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 23 March 09 10:38 pm

CraigRat wrote:
flower1 wrote: I've just used the link in Damo's post and even though it doesn't look like what I'm used to, at least I can see the caches now.
It's also got more caches than the other links too :wink: :lol:
And it actually puts the icon where the cache is!

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 23 March 09 10:56 pm

Got some Icons now, using Damo's suggestion. It looks like CraigRat was playing with new icons. I like ones that have a point but I do like ones that have the letter on them and colour to identify the type.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 23 March 09 11:58 pm

Sunshine Toledo wrote:Got some Icons now, using Damo's suggestion. It looks like CraigRat was playing with new icons.
He was but that's just a coincidence. I think the geocaching.com google earth feed is broked at the moment.

The one I posted is the GCA google earth feed. Much better because apart from showing GCA caches as well it doesn't have a deliberate error introduced. The GC feed relocates the icons every time it refreshes.

Another nifty feed is http://geocaching.com.au/cachers/cachers.kml?
which shows cacher locations for people who have provided coords.