Connecting iPAQ h4150 to Magellan SporTrak Map?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
aggregate

Connecting iPAQ h4150 to Magellan SporTrak Map?

Post by aggregate » 15 June 04 2:52 pm

Hi
I have a Magellan SporTrak Map that I wish to connect to an iPAQ h4150. I have a cable for the GPS that connects to my computer via a serial connector. The PDA uses a cradle to connect to the PC via a USB connector. I wish to use OziExplorerCE with the PDA and GPS. I have seen info about how to connect a PDA with a serial plug to the GPS using a null modem cable, but I'm not sure how to connect using the cables I have. I can connect the PDA to a USB to PS2 plug, then from PS2 to Serial (female). I assume all I'll need is a Serial male to male plug, which I can get. I asked at the local computer shop, and they wern't sure if it would work.
:?

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 15 June 04 7:51 pm

I can connect the PDA to a USB to PS2 plug, then from PS2 to Serial (female). I assume all I'll need is a Serial male to male plug, which I can get.
I've tried that on my palm and it didn't work. Go to GPSOZ and have a look to see if they have a cable. If not send them a email. I see the iPAQ h4150 can be connected to a serial port so I could not see why you could not get one.

Dooghan

aggregate

Post by aggregate » 15 June 04 8:19 pm

Thanks very much, I've checked out the web site and sent an email. Just curious, how do you know the PDA vcan connect to a serial port?

Thanks.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 17 June 04 6:41 am

Did a quick search on the net for "iPAQ h4150 serial cable"

Dooghan