Wiki article for the screen problem on etrex is GOLD

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
BigON
1200 or more Caches found
1200 or more Caches found

Wiki article for the screen problem on etrex is GOLD

Post by BigON » 03 January 09 10:14 pm

Hello All
Just a general comment in regards to the wiki article on home repair for the etrex series of GPSRs.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Garmin_home_repair
I had some problems with my old blue etrex legend, the screen kept blanking out or showing dark lines through it for several days, this would usually clear with a gentle bit of percussion maintenance (thump) but eventually wouldn't show a screen image at all. I spent a while searching the net for details on the issue and eventually found the wiki article and links.
The actual careful dismantling and application of the ribbon cable clean and reconnection procedure was worrying and a bit tricky in places but the box is now working great again, all in all a great result and I can't recomend the process highly enough.
This was a great saving in time and no doubt money for what turned out to be a relatively simple repair that probably would have taken ages to have done professionally over Christmas. That new GPSR is just going to have to wait a lot longer.