Sydney Topo JPG's

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Sydney Topo JPG's

Post by EcoTeam » 31 May 04 8:12 pm

Ran out of disk space for R-Z!, grab'em while they're hot...
www.alternatezone.com/maps

EcoDave :)

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 02 June 04 10:50 am

Thanks Ecos, look forward to R-Z. Got any calibrated .map files? (yeh, I'm lazy) :)

- Rog

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 02 June 04 11:42 am

I've had those for a while, however, I chopped and cleaned them up and then calibrated them. I think I have about 4 maps left to work on, not small jpegs though.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 02 June 04 3:09 pm

Tis smeee!

it took me a few goes.

FTP software must be in PORT mode to connect.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 02 June 04 10:09 pm

I use WSFTP at home, but on other machines without FTP I use Internet Explorer, makes a simple FTP program, just type in the ftp address and then you can drag/drop files from the IE window to a directory in Explorer

Yes, webguy has all the cleaned up and calibrated Ozi versions, but I have not seen them yet. The problem is logistics with the files sizes etc, CD and snail mail is the best way.

What is the average JPG size you have there Neil?
Probably no point making them bigger than my files as it's unlikely you'll get any extra resolution out of the JPG?, what are your results?
I would prefer files no bigger than we already have, can fit more on a single CD and quicker to load and uses less of my precious hard drive space :oops:

How about I upload the rest of the files, webguy can clean them up and Ozi them (he seems keen :wink: ) and we'll make up a CD so that we can distribute around?

I have access to more files too, but just started with the ones around Sydney.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 02 June 04 11:19 pm

Pesky! wrote:converting all your JPEG gif, png PDf images to OZF format if you have OZi is the best solution to file size, the maps are in jsut as good resolution, but heaps smaller in size. and load into the app realy fast.
I think if you look on the ozi "extras" page there is a copy of IMG2OZF to download.
just incase ill host a copy, and put one on Aussie cachers YAhoo!.
That's not strictly true, OZF2 is a 'tiled' format, which means the complete map does not have to be loaded into memory at the one time, however its file sizes are larger than jpg.
Case in point. Eco jpg 88301n Mount Wilson map 5.5MB
same map jpg 11.4MB
same map sid 3.47MB

OZF2 works well when there are a few colours only, such as the Sydway and Whereis maps. The Mt Wilson map has 24 colours.

A whereis map (tiff) has 8 colours and a compression ratio of 15.2

will_deness

Post by will_deness » 03 June 04 1:00 pm

Anyone from brisbane with maps like those? looks like fun to play around with :idea:

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 03 June 04 1:41 pm

I have the .SID versions too, but they aren't that useful I thought, so I batch converted them to JPG with Irfanview. The JPGs are around the 60% quality ratio but I think they are still pretty good.
Would everyone prefer the SID files instead?
I can get them all, the problem is that the SID files are only labeled with the map reference number. The time consuming part is manually renaming every file with the much more meaningful map name as well.

Anyway, R-Z are uploading now at the expense of the lower letters...

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 03 June 04 1:50 pm

EcoTeam wrote:I have the .SID versions too, but they aren't that useful I thought, so I batch converted them to JPG with Irfanview. The JPGs are around the 60% quality ratio but I think they are still pretty good.
Would everyone prefer the SID files instead?
I can get them all, the problem is that the SID files are only labeled with the map reference number. The time consuming part is manually renaming every file with the much more meaningful map name as well.

Anyway, R-Z are uploading now at the expense of the lower letters...

Probably depends on how you use them. I use them with Ozi. the map files have the map name in them so it shows on the screen. Also the map files I have use the existing <number.sid> filename so changing it means changing the name in all the map files.
I use the same system for my map files for the parish maps as well.