Garmin GPS routerable map information

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
stevenwill

Garmin GPS routerable map information

Post by stevenwill » 20 October 08 12:23 pm

Hi, can anybody please point me in the right direction for information on the garmin routerable maps as I have the city navigator maps but would like to edit them with updates but don't have a clue as where to start! Any information in this would be helpful, thank you

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 20 October 08 2:42 pm

You can't edit the CN maps due to copyright reasons. You can add the data to the OpenStreetMap project. The data gets turn into maps for the Garmin GPS on a daily, weekly and monthly bases. Non routable can be downloaded from OSMAustralia and Stevez's Garmin Maps. Routable maps from Routable OpenStreetMap.

Dooghan

stevenwill

Post by stevenwill » 20 October 08 3:57 pm

Thanks Dooghan,

So what you are saying is that even though we /I have purchased CN it may not be edited due to copywrite issues :oops: , but I can download routable OpenstreetMap and then edit them? :?:

If so are there any tools or should I ask what are the better tools for editing the routable maps? Is there a site for developement on these routable maps?

Thank you in advance
Steve

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 20 October 08 8:18 pm

stevenwill wrote:Thanks Dooghan,

So what you are saying is that even though we /I have purchased CN it may not be edited due to copywrite issues :oops:
Yes that's what I'm saying. Garmin's terms of use says you can't edit or modify there maps. You don't own the data in there maps and can only use it as is. It's all in the terms of use that you put a tick in the box when you installed the maps on your computer.

stevenwill wrote:but I can download routable OpenstreetMap and then edit them? :?:
Yes. That is because this data is free and open source. Anyone can download, edit the data and turn it into any map format you like. You just got to list OSM as the source of the data. Here is some reading for you http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Legal_FAQ and http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=262
stevenwill wrote:If so are there any tools or should I ask what are the better tools for editing the routable maps? Is there a site for developement on these routable maps?

Thank you in advance
Steve
They are lots of tools out there to edit the data. Programs like mapwel, GPSMapEdit, any GIS program and the list goes on. I only know of 2 compilers that can make routable maps. Personal cGPSmapper for US$750 or Routable cGPSmapper for US$2800. There could be others or you could write your own. The guy that makes the routable maps above wrote his own compiler, etc and don't think it's open source.

Dooghan

stevenwill

Post by stevenwill » 21 October 08 7:02 am

Thank you Dooghan, as you can see I have a lot to learn but what fun, appreciate the help.
Steve

jusojara
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 24 October 08 9:56 pm

Hi,

I just downloaded the OSM maps onto my Legend and although the turn by turn appears to work (I havent actually gone anywhere yet) the minor streets don't appear on the GPS screen. They do on the PC when I select them for download.

Is there something I need to do or turn on, on the Garmin?

:?:

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 24 October 08 10:20 pm

jusojara wrote:Hi,

I just downloaded the OSM maps onto my Legend and although the turn by turn appears to work (I havent actually gone anywhere yet) the minor streets don't appear on the GPS screen. They do on the PC when I select them for download.

Is there something I need to do or turn on, on the Garmin?

:?:
Try zooming in a bit more on the GPS. Also set your detail level to "Most" on the map setup page. On my 60CSx I go into setup menu -> map -> General tab.

Dooghan

jusojara

Post by jusojara » 24 October 08 10:38 pm

Try zooming in a bit more on the GPS. Also set your detail level to "Most" on the map setup page. On my 60CSx I go into setup menu -> map -> General tab.
Thanks, I checked that setting it is already set to most, however I discovered the street detail appeared when I turned off the Shonky Topo maps.

It appears that I can't use both at the same time - bugger!

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 25 October 08 9:25 am

jusojara wrote:Thanks, I checked that setting it is already set to most, however I discovered the street detail appeared when I turned off the Shonky Topo maps.

It appears that I can't use both at the same time - bugger!
You didn't say you had other mapsets loaded on the GPS or I would have suggested it first.

Dooghan