The basic Etrex seems so popular...

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

The basic Etrex seems so popular...

Post by Webguy » 21 May 04 10:24 am

But how many people are using other models in the Garmin range and how do you find them? Do the extra features make much difference?

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 21 May 04 10:47 am

I use a Garmin 12, the old base model garmin, this was, last time I looked, still being produced. It is a good entry level unit, very basic and bulky thou. The one big drawback with it that I have found is the distance to go counter, it only reads down to 0.01klm or 10mts, I have worked out away around that but then it's really reading down to 5 mts. Close enough for government work I suppose :P . I am actually trying to get a Megellan Platinium for my next unit. I like the idea of all the bells and whiistles, barometer, compass and such, all in one unit. The garmin 12 will then be retired back to it's original intended purpose, in the boat for fishing.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 21 May 04 11:38 am

I bought the Venture because of its improved screen resolution and increased number of waypoints. The worldwide city database in the Venture has actually proved quite useful.

In truth I didn't buy it for geocaching, so stuff like a better screen (for the moving map display) was important to me.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 May 04 12:45 pm

swampgecko wrote:...garmin 12 will then be retired back to it's original intended purpose, in the boat for fishing.
You planning on using it for bait, or as an anchor?

Devar
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
Twitter: Devar

Post by Devar » 21 May 04 2:17 pm

GPSMAP 76. Once you have the maps you can never go back. :lol:

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 21 May 04 2:18 pm

I also have a Venture - I like the joystick function and the resolution.

But I think I only have 500 waypoints?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 May 04 7:37 pm

I use an etrex vista for caching and have an emap mounted in the paj. I like the larger screen while driving and the smaller vista with compass for caching.
Both have street level mapping.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 21 May 04 7:38 pm

It's a bit late for us, but I must get a look at one of the higher res models, just to compare. I read a number of reviews that did not like that little joystick thingy.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 May 04 7:41 pm

Webby wrote:...I read a number of reviews that did not like that little joystick thingy.
A matter of taste. I find it useful now that I am used to it..

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 21 May 04 7:41 pm

riblit wrote:
swampgecko wrote:...garmin 12 will then be retired back to it's original intended purpose, in the boat for fishing.
Leek suggested using it as ballest, but I had better remind him that the steam driven Garmin 12 was the one that put us on the spot a few times when the Magellan was trying to lead us over the edge, literally at times....

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 May 04 7:43 pm

swampgecko wrote:
riblit wrote:
Leek suggested using it as ballest, but I had better remind him that the steam driven Garmin 12 was the one that put us on the spot a few times when the Magellan was trying to lead us over the edge, literally at times....
... and you still want to buy one?

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 21 May 04 9:46 pm

The basic eTrex is so popular because it offers the best bangs/buck.
At $150-$200 street price the other models can be 2,3, or 4 times that price. But you don't get 2,3, or 4 times the performance or accuracy, nor find a cache twice as quick or twice as easy etc.
You might be able to store 4 times as many waypoints, or use a map or magnetic compasss and pressure barometer, but in normal use these features just aren't required.

EcoDave :)

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 21 May 04 10:34 pm

EcoTeam wrote: You might be able to store 4 times as many waypoints, or use a map or magnetic compasss and pressure barometer, but in normal use these features just aren't required.

EcoDave :)
they put these gadgets in so that the suckers... er ... consumers like me(self confessed gadget freak) will buy them :oops: :lol: :wink: