Garmin iQue 3600 PDA - A toy or a real geocaching tool?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Garmin iQue 3600 PDA - A toy or a real geocaching tool?

Post by Webguy » 19 May 04 2:11 pm

Not that i want one, but one of the guys here at work has got all excited about this thing, anyone seen one in the flesh?

alex
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 20 May 04 1:52 am

I bought one for resale in our mapshop today, but couldn't resist opening it up and turning it into a "demonstrator". I've just finished loading all the stuff I think, though with all things computerish and me there is probably more to do. Hopefully I'll fire up the GPS/map part to find my way to work in the morning. Then...who knows?...OziCE?...GSAK?

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 20 May 04 2:15 pm

I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 20 May 04 10:15 pm

I wouldn't use a PDA with GPS attachment out while caching, or doing anything else like bushwalking, canyoning or whatever. There is a good chance you'll drop it, bump it, put a tree branch through the delicate screen etc...
The amount of abuse my eTrex has taken over the years has to be seen to be believed. Stuff that would have ruined a dozen delicate PDA's by now!

The only use a PDA has while using a GPS is for real-time map tracking, and try as I might I can't really see a big need for that. After all, you obviously know if you are on a trail, so you only need to check a map periodically, and if you are off trail then the real-time map ain't going to help you much anyway :roll:
Although others find it really useful for some reason?
If you want real-time track mapping then a mapping GPS is a much more rugged and usable option, and keep your delicate PDA in your pack. Although arguably the screen is smaller etc..
Nice toy though! :wink:

EcoDave :)

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 20 May 04 11:54 pm

alex wrote:Then...who knows?...OziCE?...GSAK?
<p>
If memory serves correct, these babies are PalmOS powered - so you won't get OziCE on board.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 21 May 04 12:52 am

I have to agree with daves comments, however, in the states, and probably out here, there is a very heavy duty shock case for this device. Looks like it would protect it quite well.

alex

Post by alex » 22 May 04 12:13 am

Smurf said;
[/quote] If memory serves correct, these babies are PalmOS powered - so you won't get OziCE on board.[quote]
Yep, your right there...bummer. Also I haven't yet figured out how to load bulk waypoints from GSAK or elsewhere directly into the PDA.
The turn -by-turn navigation is the most impressive feature in the early use.
I know this is not the ideal geocaching GPS, too delicate. I wouldn't like to drop it or even take it out in the rain but if I could load the cache documents into the PDA part then it would be really useful in the car when I'm out caching. The Meridian Gold will remain the unit of choice when I'm fighting tigers in the swamp, I've droppeed it numerous times and it still chugs on.
However, I have lots to learn with the iQue so I won't condemn it yet.
Last edited by alex on 22 May 04 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

PDA

Post by binns1012 » 22 May 04 12:27 am

Yep, your right there...bummer. Also I haven't yet figured out how to load bulk waypoints from GSAK or elsewhere directly into the PDA.
The turn -by-turn navigation is the most impressive feature in the early use.
I know this is not the ideal geocaching GPS, too delicate. I wouldn't like to drop it or even take it out in the rain but if I could load the cache documents into the PDA part then it would be really useful in the car when I'm out caching. The Meridian Gold will remain the unit of choice when I'm fighting tigers in the swamp, I've droppeed it numerous times and it still chugs on.
However, I have lots to learn with the iQue so I won't condemn it yet.

Hi I am new here , I have a Ipaq2210 Loaded with Ozi CE and Topo maps
and a Bluetooth Slipper GPS I also have an Otter Ruggedized case for PDA makes it indestructable and it is still easy to operate the PDA even with gloves on
regards Tony

p.s. not sure how to do the Quote thing :>)

alex

Post by alex » 22 May 04 1:00 am

p.s. not sure how to do the Quote thing :>)
ditto