New - want to geocache with my kids - what else do I need?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 21 September 07 1:56 pm

Versions with a removable USB cable are generally used to charge the bluetooth GPS.... They tend to run on Li-ion batteries similiar to a nokia mobile. The 240v chargers supplied are just a 5v (0.5A) mini-usb plug type.

The versions with a fixed USB lead generally have no bluetooth capabilities and are attached to a PC/Laptop to transfer their data stream. They have no battery per se, and require the 5v supply from the USB to power them. I'm not a big fan of these versions as they need the computer to run at all times which makes the setup not very portable.....only really any good for vehicle mounted laptop systems IMO.

mm

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 21 September 07 2:11 pm

Not sure about Sydney but in Melbourne Organisor & Calculator King stock Bluetooth GPSr's (no affiliation, just a customer). Approximately $100.

On the eBay prices, when I looked a couple of months ago all the eBay bluetooths were around $50 BUT delivery was another $30-$40, didn't seem to be any benefit vs the safe feeling of handing money across a counter.

Also, the USB cable supplied with my Bluetooth GPSr only provides power. Trying to use it to connect a camera to the PC failed, I assume it only has enough wires to provide power to the device.

TeamJEKL
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by TeamJEKL » 21 September 07 5:47 pm

and just to confuse things more, some come with a usb cable that will only charge the device, not act as a data cable... the best ones i have seen (don't know about the device themselves) have a standard nokia phone battery. so that is excellent if you have an old phone around to use as a second battery and as a charger! which reminds me... i have lost mine :(

mumof2
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mumof2 » 25 September 07 5:11 pm

just to confuse the issue, my GH has just bought a Pocket PC along with CoPilot. can I use this for the hunt? We also have a tomtom for the car.

mum of two :?

Grank

Post by Grank » 25 September 07 6:14 pm

octagonal wrote:What is a geocoin?
Check here as well http://cointracking.com/index.php

Grank

Post by Grank » 25 September 07 6:17 pm

mumof2 wrote:We also have a tomtom for the car.
These are great. Check out the Hardware and Software section and read some of teh threads on Tom Tom. There's some officianados out there that explain how to load the POIs into it. Great for events or just driving around awaiting for the next cache alarm to sound.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 25 September 07 6:23 pm

:oops:
Last edited by Mr Router on 25 September 07 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 25 September 07 6:26 pm

mumof2 wrote:just to confuse the issue, my GH has just bought a Pocket PC along with CoPilot. can I use this for the hunt?

mum of two :?
Yes you can you need some software to make the poi's, read about it here

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Download it here http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=58972

Grank

Post by Grank » 25 September 07 6:36 pm

Mr Router wrote::oops:
you didn't plug the Bathurst event in November .. I did leave an opening :lol:

octagonal

Post by octagonal » 25 September 07 6:37 pm

I am getting there.

I jumped in and bought an etrex legend. We are going bush in the school holidays.

Some more questions that may be obvious - but I can't find the answers.

Is the monthly geocaching.com premium subscription something you can chop & change at will? (ie) Can I pay the 3 bucks, download the gpx files I need, and cancel or 'suspend' the subscription until I need to do it again? So if it's next month I pay another 3 bucks, but if it is in 3 months time I don't have to pay 9? Or is it a 12 month subscription either way?

I am about to go with shonky maps / gsak / some form of premium subscription. I sent the first cache data to the gpsr from GC - but all it came up with was the code name for the cache. I know the connection & software is working, I just need to refine it and it seems that this combination is exactly what I am after.

octagonal

Post by octagonal » 25 September 07 6:39 pm

BTW - we got the first cache we aimed for, after a couple of goes, without a GPS. This reinforced the need for a gps unit, or decent maps and a compass.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 25 September 07 6:58 pm

octagonal wrote:Is the monthly geocaching.com premium subscription something you can chop & change at will? (ie) Can I pay the 3 bucks, download the gpx files I need, and cancel or 'suspend' the subscription until I need to do it again? So if it's next month I pay another 3 bucks, but if it is in 3 months time I don't have to pay 9? Or is it a 12 month subscription either way?
12 months is all they offer.
octagonal wrote:I am about to go with shonky maps / gsak / some form of premium subscription. I sent the first cache data to the gpsr from GC - but all it came up with was the code name for the cache. I know the connection & software is working, I just need to refine it and it seems that this combination is exactly what I am after.
Shonkymaps, GSAK and a Premium membership will pretty much have you right up to spec as far as geocaching goes...It's a not-unsubstantial outlay, but makes life a lot easier!

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 25 September 07 7:01 pm

Grank wrote:
Mr Router wrote::oops:
you didn't plug the Bathurst event in November .. I did leave an opening :lol:
Sorry mate :oops: 10-11 November come one come all.
For those who have been before there will be plenty of new things to do.
Look forward to seeing you here! Please log your attendance on the GC Event page, see ya then.

octagonal

Post by octagonal » 25 September 07 7:22 pm

Another stupid question.

To use Shonkymaps I must own a licence to some other maps.

Do I own any licence as an owner of an etrex legend, or is this something I need to buy?

In the startup screen the legend initially said "Pacific Highway" as a map base ( I assume a map base). Now, when I go to the Map Setup menu and choose information I see the Map Name as " International Marine Point Basemap ,2001"

KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found
Twitter: Grumpykev

Post by KevL » 25 September 07 7:58 pm

No licence is required to use Shonky maps. You need a licence to install garmins Mapsource software.
You don't need Mapsource. Img2gps?? will transfer maps to the unit
The is a post on this site and also on gpsaustralia.net regarding a method of getting mapsource legally/ on your computer without a licence.

Others should be able to confirm the alternative software. I use QLandkarte (linux).

The legend is a good unit, the free shonky maps great.

Kev