How to get GPX fiile of GCA caches working in Garmin Dakota

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Albany Canucks

How to get GPX fiile of GCA caches working in Garmin Dakota

Post by Albany Canucks » 15 September 10 9:34 pm

So with the help of some wonderful advice from the folks on this forum, I'm now the proud owner of a Garmin Dakota 20! I'm very pleased with it!

But I could use some help: how do I get it to load the Recommended GCA geocaches? Here's what I've done:

From this page, I chose "Download GCA Caches as: GPX"
http://geocaching.com.au/caches/recommended/au/wa/
That downloaded a 115kB file called wa.gpx (NB: I checked the file with Word, and it seems to have about a dozen geocaches, and includes comments and other info about the cache).
Using Windows Explorer I copied this file to the existing \Garmin\GPX directory on my Dakota.

So far so good. But now here's the problem: when I start up my Dakota and click the "Geocaches" button, I get the message "No geocaches found. Visit garmin.com/geocache to learn more and download geocaches." The caches do show up in Waypoint Manager however, but only the names (e.g. GA0190) and coordinates, and no other information.

Am I doing something wrong?

Damo.

Re: How to get GPX fiile of GCA caches working in Garmin Dakota

Post by Damo. » 15 September 10 9:48 pm

There was a thread recently that had some relevant info. I would link to it but couldn't be bothered spending too much time looking. Don't want to wear out the search feature! :P

Groundspeak don't follow the proper conventions for GPX files and add proprietary stuff. Due to their commercial influence, as a result Garmin etc support Groundspeak GPX files but not the "standard".

You will need to used something like GSAK to send the GCA GPX files to the Garmin.

Albany Canucks

Re: How to get GPX fiile of GCA caches working in Garmin Dakota

Post by Albany Canucks » 16 September 10 3:39 am

Thanks for that helpful info. I found a workaround: I set up a GCA Query, and when this was processed, instead of choosing to download the GPX file and transfer it manually, I selected the GPS option which sends it directly to the Dakota, and makes them show up as geocaches instead of waypoints. Too bad that there's barely 50 non-trig available GCA caches in the entire area in and around Perth!