logging into the forum [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Team Piggy

logging into the forum [closed]

Post by Team Piggy » 24 April 04 5:14 pm

Anyone having any problems with logging in ?

I had some probs a few weeks ago, and Ideology fixed that up fine.

But now it seems every time I log in and then close the forums, it logs me out ?

I have ticked the Auto log in box for those that will ask !

Usually it just allows me straight back into the forums, but last couple of days it seems to drop me all the time ?

Any ideas ??

TP.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 24 April 04 11:18 pm

Had similar problem with gc.com, but things OK here.

ideology

Post by ideology » 25 April 04 3:55 pm

if you are getting to the forum from a bookmark, perhaps the bookmark is to the old URL not the new one

Team Piggy

url

Post by Team Piggy » 26 April 04 1:06 am

http://forum.geocaching.com.au ??? This is the fav I use..

ideology

Post by ideology » 26 April 04 7:34 am

yep, that's it
next question: are you using a firewall, privacy or adbuster software? maybe something is killing cookies?
(fyi, we are focusing on your computer at the moment because we are unaware of anyone else having the same problem)

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 26 April 04 8:03 am

I had similar problems a while ago, I found that If I multi-task while in the forums I had to resign in every time I re-ntered the forums AFTER that Multi-Tasking session.

I got around it by clearing cookies and NOT muli-tasking whilst in the forums, thou I still open multiple windows for other websites and don't have any problems whith the log-ins for those sites, ie mainly the gc.com related sites, groundspeak forums, reviewers forums(for now anyway) and reviwers pages.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 26 April 04 9:42 am

Hi Guys, thanks for trying to help..
OK.. I use 5 different computers from the Pig-A-Tron to a laptop to a Pda.
The main machine is the Pig-A-Tron at the other house (Server), I havent been there since this problem arose to check but will be later on this week.
We run bigpond ADSL down there, here on this machine (Standard Dell terminal, nothing flash) we run Bigpoind Cable.
Now usually I multi-task (Till you hear the Power supply fan about to blow up !) Even on geo.forums.au.

I will usually go to "posts since last visit" and then open anything of interest by "Shift+click" opening each into new window.

Every timeI went to the page, I was logged in.

A few weeks ago I had my username disabled after changing my email address, George from Ideo (I think) fixed that up !

Now it seems from only a few days ago,m every time i go to Aus.geo.forums it logs me out ??

Any ideas ? Maybe it is cookie settings < ? I havent changed any that I know of though ?

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 26 April 04 10:03 am

I used to have problems a fair while back. I use two systems. The schools server which is fairly rarely and home.

With home I have installed 'Advant' Browser. A clever browser system which works over your existing browser system but remembers the pages you had open when previously logged in and reopens them when you reconnect. All I have to do is click on advante and my Email, Forums and My Cache page all reopen and refresh to show me what new today.

I have found also that even though I'm on Dial up at home (Bloody Dubbo) the pages open heaps faster than in explorer. Even sometimes quicker than the schools broadband. I can disable adds, flashes and even photos if I want really fast loads.

Very clever stuff - Thanks Dooghan.

The Bronze.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 27 April 04 12:55 pm

I've had problems also. I'm clinging to the working cookie on my laptop, because I can't log in from my desktop machine. Even copying the cookie didn't help. There's nothing cookie blocking on the not working machine, and the error messages suggest I'm getting the username/password wrong, but I'm sure I've got it right once.

Not to worry.

- Rog

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 27 April 04 12:58 pm

I use my hotmail account for the notifications and if I follow that link I allways have to log in (hotmail kills the cookies)...
A bit annoying, but doesnt bother me much..

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 27 April 04 3:07 pm

I have also been copping that username password wromg text too. The other week it threw me out after simply changing my profile email address ?
Ideology had to reactivate my membership ??

I am back on the main machine now and it seems to log in happily ?
Higher security level than the other machine i was using on the weekend too ??

Very weird...