Map, Editable landmarks and Search - Beta testing [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
GeoQuacks
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

How does map work?

Post by GeoQuacks » 30 June 03 1:06 pm

I have been wondering for a while how the map works. Specifically, how does it get all the geocaching waypoints? Is there an automated routine that scans the site, are they all entered manually or is the situation somewhere between these two? I am wondering this because there are a number of new caches that the system does not know about, such as The Koonung Trail and Pretty as a Button, both hidden on 23 June.

Also, IÂ’m interested in how the system converts our normal coordinates into those required by the online maps, such as cacheway? How should we correct errors in the system? I think that I have noticed more, but certainly Flax-en Beauty is in the wrong place on your map and all the external ones it links to.

Thanks for your excellent service,

Peter

ideology

Post by ideology » 01 July 03 10:13 pm

it's semi-automatic - we just upload .loc files
we just uploaded the latest files and those caches are now on here

the conversions used are pretty standard datum conversions
flax-en beuaty had the wrong coords because they were initially wrong on the secondary site (see the first log by muzza). we don't re-scan caches, so the incorrect coords stayed on our system

we hope to decentralise the cache management so geocaching australia users can update this type of stuff in the future

GeoQuacks
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by GeoQuacks » 02 July 03 5:32 pm

Do you have a link to any of these conversion formulae? Is there a description on how to format the URL for streetdirectory.com.au? I sometimes would like to use these sites to plot points that can't be added to a public database, such as subsequent points in multicaches.

Thanks,

Peter

ideology

Post by ideology » 12 August 03 11:25 pm

you used to be able to type in direct coodinates in the search field on the front of geocaching.com.au but it seems to be broken. hmm... another thing for the list. the conversion is pages of code to translate coordinate datums from wgs84 to ans66. maccamob has a spreadsheet which explains it.