ideology

Maps - Beta testing [closed]

Post by ideology » 31 March 03 7:32 pm

we have re-coded the maps and we are interested in your feedback
http://geocaching.com.au/map/

the changes were aimed at speed and security
speed:
- re-written in C
- all static lines such as coastlines, rivers, roads and railways moved from a database to directly compiled into the code. (it's a now 57mb executable, but runs much quicker than reading a 300mb+ database!)
- static lines are now cached and simply reloaded off disk rather than feverishly re-drawn every time someone requests the same map
- dynamic points are added to the static map behind the scenes

security
- this wants you to be logged in to use it because soon users will be able to update waypoints and we need to store an audit trail (a) just in case they stuff up, and (b) so that people get recognition for their work as they improve the maps

so, please try the new maps and let us know how they go!
Last edited by ideology on 12 February 05 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Maps

Post by The Ginger Loon » 02 April 03 4:36 pm

I've had a look at the maps and I must say they look impressive.

At the moment though it seems all I can do is zoom into the different geocaching "fields" (Sydney, Adelaide, etc) and use the NSEW/IN/OUT buttons. There appears to be no functionality to the individual caches as per the "old" maps. I presume this will be eventually turned on.

The only other comment I'll make is that the maps at the moment look a bit cluttered, with both cache and locality information all laid on top of each other. This to me makes the maps less attractive and less user friendly. Is there anyway you can thin out the locality information or make it switchable? Also since logging in is required to access the maps, could this be linked to a teams cache data and use a colour coding format to display found/hidden/unavailable/archived status for that team? Or possibly make the cache names switchable or an icon/mouseover combination to further reduce the clutter. Or better still a compination of both?

Apart from that they are fine... :roll:

ideology

Post by ideology » 03 April 03 8:17 am

thanks for your feedback

yes, we haven't turned on the ability to click on things yet because we wanted to make sure the login worked. (sorry, we should have said that!) in the future, you will be able to click on more than just caches. for example if you see a railway station that's not on a railway line, you will be able to click on it and edit its location. and add new waypoints of course.

filtering/switching the locality information: at the moment it tries to be automatic and only displays info when there are less than 300 items, but it would be nice to have that user selectable. we'll add it.

yes, linking the maps into the user database will be very powerful. we will be able to colour-code caches based on whether the cacher had found it, who had planted it, etc. we currently don't have finds stored, but one day we will (somehow!)

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 03 April 03 11:52 pm

Looks pretty impressive - lots of potential. Very cluttered when you start zooming in, however - perhaps colour coded dots or icons for the various features / caches etc and using something like a mouse rollover event to popup the text? (Apologies, it's been a few years since I've coded in anger...)

Also noticed the map screen size stayed constant regardless of screen size or resolution ... any chance this could be altered to take advantage of a screen with a little more real estate? Otherwise it's a little window with an awful lot of white space around it ...

Didn't really play with the previous version of this concept, so can't provide any comparative comments.

Cheers!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 04 April 03 7:17 pm

Hi,
I just had a quick look - impressive, although I agree with Slider and Smurf regarding a variable size map window.

I do have some issues with the search function on the map page. Every time I tried it crashed after inputting the first letter of a search string.
The offending code is:

<td></td>
<td align="center">
<form name="search" action="../search/" method="post">
<input name='input' size='40' onKeyPress='return submitenter(this,event)' <--

<value=''>
<input type='submit' name='go' value=' Search ' width='50'>
&&<a href='./'>Australia</a>
</form>

The line marked with <-- annoys IE 6. Seems to be unhappy with the onKeyPress event.

It is repeatable.

John

ideology

Post by ideology » 04 April 03 8:29 pm

oh sorry, the search isn't working on the beta - all we were testing was the speed and the login. it seems to be working, so it looks like we are okay to add the search and clicking. fyi the javascript is to allow the user to press enter rather than click the button

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Login?

Post by leek » 09 April 03 1:15 am

Ideology,

You mentioned a couple of times that the new beta mapping requires you to login when using it... I don't see any requirement or opportunity to login - Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Leek

ideology

Post by ideology » 09 April 03 7:39 am

the mapping checks whether you are logged in via the forum
if so, it draws the map
if not, it says that you need to log in. if you are set to automatically log in via the forum, you may never see this. you can test it by logging out using the link at the top of the forum pages.

when we release it, we'll add a login box to the main page of geocaching australia so that it makes a bit more sense. if you're logged out, the map will take you to the login box.

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 09 April 03 4:24 pm

Just one thing I thought of. It would be nice to have a click and drag function on the map it self. This way we could move the map around instead of using the NSEW buttons. Just a thought.

The Rats :roll:

invaders
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

map

Post by invaders » 10 April 03 7:27 pm

Nice work :D