GCA listings a code of conduct for placement?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site

Would a code of conduct make a difference to GCA caches?

Yes
64%
No
24%
No idea
12%

Total votes: 59

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

GCA listings a code of conduct for placement?

Post by swampgecko » 02 February 06 10:03 am

I think we need to refloat the "rules" again, but make like a code of conduct for placement, not compulsory but it would be preferred that they be followed....

What do people think about this idea?

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 02 February 06 10:15 am

If the intention was that the community maintain itself, then a code of conduct would at least be a way of exploring what the community considers its boundaries.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 02 February 06 10:30 am

Seems a good idea to me.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 February 06 10:30 am

Hi

I voted no, only because I can see "code of conduct" becoming guidelines, read rules .... a.k.a. gc.com

I have a strong belief in "common sense" and where appropriate a response to the owner if something is not good.

Andrew

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 02 February 06 10:40 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

I voted no, only because I can see "code of conduct" becoming guidelines, read rules .... a.k.a. gc.com

I have a strong belief in "common sense" and where appropriate a response to the owner if something is not good.

Andrew
Are you the same Aushiker who was ranting about a TB in another thread? 8)

Cached

Post by Cached » 02 February 06 11:09 am

The geocachers creed is a similar document.

http://gps-fun.com/geocreed.html gives a good introduction to the reasoning behind it and a link to the creed.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 02 February 06 12:09 pm

It's a bit like a pre-nuptial agreement or a contract; you don't need it if things go well, only when the wheels fall off.

If cache-placers are using common sense and, if required, responding to valid concerns raised by other cachers, then there's no need for defined guidelines or any enforcement method.

But what about the possibility of an anti-social trouble-maker? They exist, and I bet embi, swampy and iriblit have stories about some of the things that have been submitted to them as gc.com reviewers!

If some fool places a cache that's likely to make headlines of a damaging sort (Hospital cleared by fake bomb threat. "It was just a geocache" says alleged terrorist.) what can we do about it?
I'd imagine that someone here would feel justified in removing that one, but where do we draw the line?

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 02 February 06 12:43 pm

I'd prefer a list of "good ideas", perhaps based on that intro to newbies that leek wrote a while back.

It could go on the wiki, and if any edit-wars erupt, then it goes to the forum for discussion (if it hasn't already) before I make a final ruling.

Kidding on that last bit. :P

- Rog

Grank

Post by Grank » 02 February 06 1:10 pm

Bear_Left wrote:I bet embi, swampy and iriblit have stories about some of the things that have been submitted to them as gc.com reviewers!
Patience of saints; off topic, but we owe them big time :!:

On topic, "yes" for me. I've only been playing for a short while and still recall trying to figure out how to join in. As a newbie you don't want to look like a fool :oops: (even if that is your chosen avatar!) so some easy to access documentation (ie not having to trawl through the forums, or figure out what a wiki is, etc) would be helpful - maybe a new tab "How to play" or the like.

As a newbie you also don't realise what situations you may be creating :? . It may all seem harmless putting a cache on a public reserve, but you may inadvertantly be creating some stress at a nearby pre-school when all of a sudden blokes in caching clobber start descending on the vacant lot nearby.

Until you see a crop circle, or a new track created by a cache - then check the log and see that it has only been visited 6 times in as many months - do you appreciate the damage that can be done (no matter how careful people are then still have to get around on their feet) and how long it takes for some areas to recover from your intrusion.

Getting "owners permission" all sounds a bit beaurcratic and not fun - but recently I attempted this and ended up not placing a cache; not because the owner didn't like the idea (he thought it was a real hoot) but he confided in me that without being able to tell me details, that if strangers started coming to this area at odd times then they were likely to be bailed up and questioned intensily at the local station :shock: . In this case there were particular circumstances that were unknown to me that only by "doing the right thing" prevented me setting up “colleagueÂâ€

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 February 06 1:23 pm

riblit wrote:Are you the same Aushiker who was ranting about a TB in another thread? 8)
Ahh but if they don't have common sense, a code of conduct ain't going to help ... me rant stands :D

Andrew

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 02 February 06 1:41 pm

What about a good / bad idea rater a bit like clayjar's difficulty / terrain cache rater. Basicly you have to do it before listing a cache. After you read the outcome what you do there after is on your head. Could wake people up before listing :wink: .

Cached

Post by Cached » 02 February 06 1:44 pm

That could just end up really really nasty.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 02 February 06 3:13 pm

The "Cache Ratings" Request for Comments thread covers some of this too.

Swampgecko, I'm wondering if you could elaborate on why "we need to refloat the "rules" again"?

A list of good ideas, a mechanism for providing feedback (be it public or otherwise) and community discussion should cover most, if not all, issues.

- Rog

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 02 February 06 6:12 pm

i know in my work its common to do a few check lists after a job,

ticking off each section to say it has been done.

maybe when you click on 'Hide a Cache' it first comes up with a page with a few short questions, nothing long as no body will read it.

but just a few simple items like

"Is the Cache located near any other GC or GCA listed caches?"
'in which you click no'
(you could place a link here to go to a page where you can search for nearby caches using your cache coords)

"Is the Cache in a location which could cause trouble with authorities?"
'which you click on no again'
(a link here which would go to the Wiki explaining what sort of locations and stuctures are not recommended for cache placement)

"Is the Cache named the same as an already hidden cache"
'click on no'
(link to a page where you can search by name)
[As i'm sure most cachers wouldn't want to hide something with the same name as another cache, at least in the same state]

"Is the cache in a suitable container which will handle all weather conditions?"
'you click yes'
(link to page explaining what makes a good cache container)

something like that, nothing long just maybe the 5 most important rules you should keep in mind when hiding a cache. and at the bottom of the page you click a button to move on to the listing page, except it will only let you do so if you have answered all questions correctly. yes i know it doesn't stop people from just clicking the correct answers and listing the cache anyway but it at least makes you think about your cache hide before you make the final move to listing the cache.

if such a system was in place it might jog peoples minds to check if a cache is nearby before they actually list their own.

any of that make sense? :?