Geocaching Australia - GPX file Download

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 28 March 05 1:17 pm

Primary Vs Secondary - it's just the way that you look at it. For me, I'll be promoting the primary (.AU) site from now on (like quite a few others). Don't forget to download you copy of GSAK to make your caching easier though.

J. Edgar

Post by J. Edgar » 28 March 05 1:30 pm

Yeah, I downloaded GSAK, but it seems that maximum functionality is gained from using GPX files.

I've signed up for the premium thingo at geocaching.com, so that I can try using the GPX files. Is this what most people do?

I'm trying to avoid printing off loads and loads of supporting literature, and I've found already that when I arrive at some caches that I have no idea what I'm doing or looking for. :oops:

Hence I'm hoping for a more compact, succinct method. As close to paperless as I can get.

Cheers,

Jamie

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 28 March 05 1:41 pm

J. Edgar wrote:Hmmmm... how do I put this delicately?
ideology wrote:...for legal reasons, we don't offer gpx files of caches listed on other sites
if you want to download extensive gpx files, you'll need to pay for premium membership of the groundspeak site, or you can encourage people to list their caches here so they can be downloaded for free!

How then, do you justify calling this site the primary site, when it would seem there are very few listings?<br />

No offence intended. I'm just trying to figure out how things work.

snip

Jamie

Like you I'm wondering how to put this delicately..<br />

First of all it appears you haven't taken the time to read the site <a href="http://riblit.geocaching.com.au/faq">FAQ</a>. Take the time to so, the answers to a lot of your questions are there.<br />

The question of membership fees here has been raised on a number of occasions - a search of the forum posts will provide the previous discussions.
<br />

There are some links <a href="http://geocaching.riblit.net/index.php? ... 3">here</a> that may help you with the history.

J. Edgar

Post by J. Edgar » 28 March 05 6:01 pm

I suppose some of the questions I've asked are not frequent. :)

I've read the FAQ several times. I'm not here to start a flame war. :( I'm just trying to get into this geocaching lark, have fun and do it with minimal fuss.
Ideology - Fern Gully wrote:This is the main site! We sometimes forget to update the secondary site.
This statement in response to snifter's query seems to infer (the way I read it) that you are responsible for updating the secondary site. I see that a link to the secondary site was given, but little other explanation.
The FAQ wrote:A year or so later, we saw that Jeremy had renamed his site "the official global gps cache hunt site." our response was "official, my arse!" and promptly renamed geocaching australia "the official galactic gps cache hunt site." This continued for a year or so. after a while we thought that "the primary site" was more punchy so we renamed geocaching australia to that. We think it's quite funny to type geocaching in google and see this site listed as the primary site!
When I read this initially, it just seemd flippant. Perhaps it's tongue in cheek, but it could be mistaken for our classic Australian tall-poppy-syndrome. :cry:

I hope you'll forgive my departure from delicate. :)

Cheers,

Jamie

Edit: I'm not sure what's "funny" about Googling "geocaching" and seeing this site listed as the primary site.

As stated in the FAQ, when the page was authored, the title primary geocaching site was selected as part of the title. I fail to see the point in making a big deal out of this issue when in reality, Googling "geocaching" places geochacing.com at the top of the list. :shock:

Does it matter which site is which? It's chicken and egg stuff, really.

Just reading through the threads on this site it would appear that much energy has already been expended on this topic, and it's not my intention to (re)ingnite any heated debate here.

I'm sorry I've even started down this path, I was only hoping to have some queries addressed. :cry: In my opinion, I simply saw this silly debate (as discussed in the FAQ) sullying the quality of geocaching.com.au.

Thanks for the opporunity to express my feelings.

J

!mike

Is it worth the cost?

Post by !mike » 04 April 05 9:51 am

All interesting stuff folks. Long live free speech.

As a newbie I have spent hours, and I mean many hours, trying to figure it all out.

I think there is a place in this world for both sites. But.... In reality, because the Aussie placers simply refuse to list on this site and only list on the US of A site (the SA gpx file on this site only has 3 caches listed :( ) then you really need to be able to download the gpx files from the US of A site. That is the reality I am afraid.

I also downloaded the example eBook file (and the reader) to see what I would get for my money from the "secondary :) site".

It costs $US30 per year for life to subscribe. If you find this too much, you could always form a group I suppose and share since you are allowed 5 queries a day.

Heck, this is about $A0.75 (75 cents) a week.

If you travel and do not have internet access, you really need to be able to download data to take with you. You need the gpx files!

ideology

Post by ideology » 04 April 05 10:05 am

you could always list your caches here and then your caches would be available to others in gpx without them having to pay $30pa

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 04 April 05 10:16 am

Yes, but only available to people who access this site..

!mike

Post by !mike » 04 April 05 10:34 am

ideology wrote:you could always list your caches here and then your caches would be available to others in gpx without them having to pay $30pa
Yes, this is what all Aussie people who are placeing caches should do. So why don't they? They only list on the US of A site as already mentioned.

I assume that only the placer of a cache can list on this site?

If any one can list, then I suggest that we all start listing existing caches!

I am also assuming that caches can be listed on both sites?

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 04 April 05 12:31 pm

Pls read the FAQ, it will save on a lot of assuming. :)

If there's anything unclear after that, please let us know (on the forum) so we can improve the documentation. There's a fair bit of evolution going on at the moment, and the more we can do to help out the new folk during this time, the better.

Cheers,
- Rog
One o' the developers

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 April 05 7:57 pm

Yes, this is what all Aussie people who are placeing caches should do. So why don't they? They only list on the US of A site as already mentioned.
I think a lot has to do with inertia, some cachers could be outside their comfort zone listing here, maybe thinking that someone may miss out on finding a cache because it isn't listed in America. You would really have to ask. The more cachers that list here, the less work for me.
I assume that only the placer of a cache can list on this site?
That is true of any listing site.
If any one can list, then I suggest that we all start listing existing caches!
Each cache has a unique ID. If it is listed on multiple sites it would have multiple IDs and confusion would be the order of the day.
I am also assuming that caches can be listed on both sites?
Sufficient details to identify a cache listed on the groundspeak site, along with all the logs do appear on this site so there is no need to dual list.<br />
Multiple listing would also confuse finders and invalidate the stats. Would you log a cache you found on all sites?

!mike

Post by !mike » 05 April 05 8:56 pm

Would you log a cache you found on all sites?
No, but I would rather list on this site :)

But I take your point.

I am almost up to speed on all this. Unfortunately this has been a very busy week for me. Trying to get organised for a Tassie trip and STILL waiting for a data cable for my new GPS. After several emails and finally a phone call. I have been promised that it "is in the post". Ahh well, such is life.

And thank you riblit for your comprehensive reply. It was a great help to me.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 April 05 9:01 pm

!!mike wrote:
No, but I would rather list on this site :)
well thats no problem the how-to is covered <a href="http://riblit.geocaching.com.au/faq/#li ... ">here.</a>
If you have a troubles with it, post a question.

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 05 April 05 9:16 pm

!!mike wrote:. . . Trying to get organised for a Tassie trip and STILL waiting for a data cable for my new GPS.
<p>
Quick everyone, go out an move all your caches 20 metres to the left :twisted:

!mike

Post by !mike » 05 April 05 9:47 pm

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 06 April 05 10:25 am

Sorry if I sounded rude, !mike, I was careful to add a smily face so as not to come across harsh, but I guess it didn't work. We're all coming to grips with how to best do things, and I felt that there was some repetition of questions that I thought the FAQ covered. It seems we've still a little way to go.

Hope the caching goes well for all,
- Rog