Updating stars - unauthorised domain? [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Updating stars - unauthorised domain? [closed]

Post by Slider & Smurf » 07 March 05 4:19 pm

Ok, I know we've been out of the country for a few weeks now ... just tried to update our stars after a couple of hard days' caching, only to get a message saying we were from an 'unauthorised domain'?? Do we have to have an IP address from Australia/New Zealand for this to work?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Updating stars - unauthorised domain?

Post by riblit » 07 March 05 6:25 pm

Slider & Smurf wrote:Ok, I know we've been out of the country for a few weeks now ... just tried to update our stars after a couple of hard days' caching, only to get a message saying we were from an 'unauthorised domain'?? Do we have to have an IP address from Australia/New Zealand for this to work?
no, you are probably not sending the http referer string.

Did you go to the debug page ( click the treasure chest), if so what was the result?

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 07 March 05 6:32 pm

Stars are only for the au caches :twisted:

Posspet Boys
3000 or more caches found

Post by Posspet Boys » 07 March 05 9:49 pm

I have never been able to do an update of the Stars from the Forum because of this problem. Riblit should have an e-mail in his inbox at the moment due to this.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 07 March 05 11:59 pm

Posspet Boys wrote:I have never been able to do an update of the Stars from the Forum because of this problem. Riblit should have an e-mail in his inbox at the moment due to this.
Are you using Zonealarm,Norton firewall or Norton Antivirus?

These products strip the referer string in their default mode. If there is no referer string the mail script can't check that you are coming from the same domain and will not let you use it. This is part of the anti spam measures to ensure the script can't be hijacted by spammers.

Posspet Boys

Post by Posspet Boys » 08 March 05 9:12 am

Thanks Riblit, Isee you updated my stars.
Yes, I am using Norton. Do you know what I should change to be able to allow this and still remain secure?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 08 March 05 9:38 am

Try this - something I found via google. Information <a href="http://www.world-mysteries.com/firewall ... here</a><p />

referer string checking is used by a lot of sites to prevent image leeching. Some shopping carts use it, not sending it can prevent you putting items in the cart.<p>
It is also handy for stats collection. Not sending it doesn't hide who you are as your IP address has that information, it just doesn't show where you came from.

edit:rog fixed broken link

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 08 March 05 10:30 am

riblit wrote:Are you using Zonealarm, Norton firewall or Norton Antivirus?
riblit wrote:Try this - something I found via google. Information <a href="http://www.world-mysteries.com/firewall ... here</a><p />
I use Zone alarm, but I'm not sure it causes this problem. I haven't found a relevant setting, and I've never had any difficulty accessing the starry pages.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 08 March 05 10:47 am

maccamob wrote: I use Zone alarm, but I'm not sure it causes this problem. I haven't found a relevant setting, and I've never had any difficulty accessing the starry pages.
You are ok. From a web search the main offender seems to be the Norton products.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 08 March 05 4:49 pm

riblit wrote:Did you go to the debug page ( click the treasure chest), if so what was the result?
<p>
Came back with the following:<br>
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
<p>
No idea what that means ... useful suggestions gratefully accepted. I've got NAV2004 and ZoneAlarm Pro loaded, sounds like NAV might be the problem from your comments?
<p>
embi wrote:Stars are only for the au caches :twisted:
<p>
Best you bust Maccamob back hundred finds or so then!! :D

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 08 March 05 6:52 pm

Slider & Smurf wrote: Came back with the following:<br>
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
should have been two lines:<p>

Referer: http://www.riblit.net/starstuff/test.html<br>
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041110 Firefox/1.0<p>

if the line I have marked in red is not there your referer string is not being sent.

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 24 March 05 12:06 am

Follow the google link to the letter. When in the advanced section of privacy control in NAV, 'riblit.net' has to be added as a site, then 'permit' as per google link. I use NAV 2004 & has just cracked this little problem. Shouldn't this valuable piece of info be added to the FAQ's? Lots of people use firewalls/NAV.
  • ... Geoff ....

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 24 March 05 9:25 pm

I'll add the info *sometime* and maybe change the stars page to detect the blank referer string and put some text on the page,
meanwhile a google search turned up <a href="http://www.cerkit.com/cerkitBlog/PermaL ... x">this</a> . <a href ="http://www.rihunts.com/firewall.htm">This one</a> has info on 'fixing' a few of the firewall programs. Replace rihunts.com with riblit.net in the text to make the stars page work.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 26 March 05 4:59 am

Looks like it was ZoneAlarm after all - I tried a simple trick in first disabling NAV, then ZAP, and seeing which one allowed the blocked pages through - ZAP was the culprit. Still some tweaking to do with the settings, but we got our stars in the end!! Thanks for all the help.