removing logs and caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

removing logs and caches

Post by ideology » 16 February 05 10:35 pm

we received a note from tangles asking us to remove his cache listings, logs and any reference that implies he is a member of or supports gca

naturally we are very sad at this and have tried to discuss this with him but it doesn't look good

we want to respect his wishes yet keep the stats and stuff working here. so we are thinking of removing his logs and replacing them with an anonymous log with no text, and replacing his caches with enough details to attach logs to

can anyone think of any better ideas?

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 17 February 05 12:00 am

Block his whole IP :P Then he wont see the logs and will think they dont exist :D Joking Joking..

Seems Odd to me, someone has their knickers in a knot I guess.. Makes it hard for all the users of .com.au when this happens...

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 17 February 05 12:31 am

Although this is the first time, it may not be the last.

I'd suggest whatever you come up with would need to be repeatable for future cachers who suggest that they don't want to be associated with .au - which is a sorry position really.

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Re: removing logs and caches

Post by Horus » 17 February 05 12:34 am

ideology wrote:we received a note from tangles asking us to remove his cache listings, logs and any reference that implies he is a member of or supports gca
<p>
Now you've gone and done it, those of us who have never heard of him, will want to know why his knickers are so tightly wound :?
<p>
But seriously, it's a tricky one, the information (logs, listings etc) do belong to him, and if he (or anyone else for that matter) requests they be removed then you have to respect that. I just don't understand why he would want to do it - but there are still people in Tassie that can't understand why I've chosen to list on gc.com.au only!

Cached

Post by Cached » 17 February 05 12:49 am

It may actually not have been wise to name the person who is asking to have their logs removed?

It would appear from the 'top 1000' list that the person in question has recently passed the 1000 mark. Maybe we should have said congrats? :wink:

Devar
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
Twitter: Devar

Post by Devar » 17 February 05 2:21 am

This is a prickly one, and my answer might not please all.

However, I believe that the best thing for this is to say "no". It just stuffs around GCA and people who use GCA. If tangles has his knickers tangled, then I think that's just his little problem. He doesn't have to come here, or use GCA. For all intents he can simply ignore GCA's existance. But to put the rest of us out, humbug to that.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 17 February 05 8:33 am

Cached wrote: It would appear from the 'top 1000' list that the person in question has recently passed the 1000 mark. Maybe we should have said congrats? :wink:
How ? They dont exist here remember ;) (but seriously there was a thread in regards to their passing of the tonne)... (But that will probably go by the wayside with their logs soon :roll:

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 February 05 9:33 am

As an aside, I sent a congrats note to Tangles, which was acknowledged.

[quote=devar]However, I believe that the best thing for this is to say "no". [/quote]

That's not an option, the logs are his intellectual property. If he objects to them appearing on gca, that becomes our problem.

Let's focus on the how for us and not the why for him, no point trying to guess whether his reasons are noble or not if we don't even know the reasons.

- Rog

teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by teamkittens » 17 February 05 10:17 am

Mind Socket wrote: That's not an option, the logs are his intellectual property. If he objects to them appearing on gca, that becomes our problem.
Just had to go and check that, apparently the gc.com rules are such that they don't try and claim the rights to anything anyone submits to it like some other sites. Guess I am somehwat surprised considering from what I keep hearing about Jeremy, but if he did try and claim such rights everyone would jump ship in very fast order.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 February 05 10:28 am

Yes, you own your data, but you grant groundspeak a pretty loose license when you post it on their site.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 17 February 05 6:22 pm

Just make it say “Logged by unknown GeocacherÂâ€

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 February 05 8:12 pm

They are requesting that their copyrighted material be removed.
That's different to not identifying them but keeping their material.

They have the right to request you to remove their material, regardless of the source by which it was obtained.

I believe you should remove their material at their request.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 17 February 05 9:32 pm

caughtatwork wrote:They are requesting that their copyrighted material be removed.
That's different to not identifying them but keeping their material.
Ahh but is it "copyright" ? Bring on the legal jargon...

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 17 February 05 9:43 pm

I don't know the legal jargon, but since he has politely requested it, I can't see how it can be refused.

One simple point to this, what happens if the person/team involved decides to address it via the secondary site and inform them of the situation? Where would the site and the operators of this site stand then? we want status quo(hmm good name for a rock/pop group) if it comes at a small cost of not have complete stats, I , for one am quiet happy to live with that fact.

the game is about the journey and the find, is it not? Or are we all about the numbers now?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 February 05 10:02 pm

They wrote it, they own it, they have a choice as to where it's presented. Or they should.

The groundspeak terms of use:

Section 6:

[quote]All comments, articles, tutorials, screenshots, pictures, graphics, tools, downloads, and all other materials submitted to Groundspeak in connection with the Site or available through the Site (collectively, “SubmissionsÂâ€