removing logs and caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 17 February 05 10:30 pm

caughtatwork wrote: So it actually appears that you give Groundspeak explicit permission to DISTRIBUTE and SELL your copyrighted works.<p>

Hmmm :roll:
Which is exactly what they do with the gpx files available to premium members.<p>

Even so, I believe we should remove the text of the logs as requested. The description fpr gc.com cache listings is not available so there doesn't need to be a change there. The gccode is automatically generated by gc.com so is not part of the intellectual property of the cache owner.

<p>
As an aside, I wonder if Tangles has written to google and asked that they remove the cached pages with his logs and descriptions from their search database?

ideology

Post by ideology » 17 February 05 10:50 pm

we've removed tangles' logs from the cache pages and replaced them with a blank anonymous log to keep the stats correct. hopefully this will be acceptable to him.

when we get some time we'll create an anonymous cacher page to explain why the logs are blank

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 18 February 05 8:57 pm

Maybe it has come to a time to add the option of delting your own caches and logs in your memeber page. I dont know if this is an easy thing to add, but maybe can be considered. So if anybody wants to get rid of their footsteps, they can do so quietly. Without demanding the hosts to do it for them. As I know of I think you can delte any logs and caches from GC.com..

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 18 February 05 10:03 pm

xf king wrote: As I know of I think you can delte any logs and caches from GC.com..
no you can't - you can archive a cache, but it can still be seen by anybody who is logged in , it just means it doesn't appear in the search lists.
Logs are the same - 'delete' does not delete them, it archives them so they are not seen in a normal listing but they can still be seen by anybody who knows the guid or has reviewer status on the site.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 19 February 05 9:26 am

xf king wrote:Maybe it has come to a time to add the option of delting your own caches and logs in your memeber page..
This is very good point but it brings up a problem, Tangles was never a GCA member. If you looked at his cacher page he did not have a GCA profile, something I noticed a long time ago but I think a lot of people missed. He hadn't chosen to join GCA like many of us so even if the function was available he would not have been able to edit anything. I am not quite sure how this works but I am under the impression that only logs for GCA members appeared on GCA (let me know if I am wrong).
<p>
[two cents mode]
<br>
I think that there is difference between choosing to be involved and choosing not to be involved, and to be frank I think if a person does not wish to be involved then they should be able to opt out. I realise this may become difficult for the admin team but this is a situation that may arise again so it could be an oppportunity to build in this type of functionality.
<br>
Personally I respect and support an individuals right to make a choice and think it is Tangles right to request this.
<br>
[/two cents mode]
<p>
Mike.