new state pages [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 January 05 5:20 pm

People have linked the WWW in their profile to a site more general that geocaching.

I know I did. My WWW profile links to (one of) my site(s), but not directly to the geocaching portion.

It's easy enough to find from the home page though, so I might leave it, unless it's an opinion that it should only go to the geocaching specific stuff.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 27 January 05 5:30 pm

Ahh, the issue of deep linking .... another item for debate, maybe elsewhere. Personally I prefer linking to my home page rather than deep linking.

Andrew

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 27 January 05 10:04 pm

and mystery meat too.

If you don't know what I'm talkng about - these guys sure do

http://www.websitesthatsuck.com

Sam

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 27 January 05 10:16 pm

Cached wrote:and mystery meat too.
There is no "true" mystery meat [1] as they are images with ALT tags that meaningful, and the images are the avatars of the users. These are "off site" navigation, all of the internal navigation is via the header bar.

To have "true" mystery meat [1] requires javascript rollover functions, which are not used on the site. Semantics perhaps, but this a term that has a definite meaning.

cheers Darren :)

ref
[1] Flanders, V.(2002)"Son of Web Pages that Suck"
p.95 , pp.163-166

ideology

Post by ideology » 27 January 05 10:44 pm

swampgecko wrote:I think that too much is trying to be done on each page... At first the site was dedicated to The Stats of the Australian Geocachers. Which it did quite well, but now it seems to be at crossed purposes... Maybe a status page and a cache listing page under each state... the site needs direction instead of being pulled from pillar to post
good point swampy, yes we are probably trying to jam square pegs into round holes. we'd like it to be cache listing, stats and some way to navigate caches a bit easier than on the secondary site (have you ever tried searching for a cache on there? yikes!)
Cached wrote:I like the idea of maintaining the stats pages as they were with a separate tab for each state for cache listings. This could likely be done quite cleanly with two rows of tabs.
good idea, we'll have a fiddle with that. we have just copied the mozilla stylesheet because we don't know much css (seems like voodoo to us!)

horus, sorry we haven't got to zapping the avatars for you yet. maybe tomorrow night?

if anyone would like to mock up some page designs for the state pages we would be delighted! we're not experts on this as you can see and welcome all input

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 28 January 05 12:12 am

Hi

This may have been asked before, can't remember, but with the changes we can't see what the mostly popular caches are or the YTD figures anymore :( We just got the YTD figures and now they are gone again. Really liked that feature.

Any chance of getting them back?

Andrew

ideology

Post by ideology » 28 January 05 6:55 am

yes, this has been asked before - by you! (see first page of this thread.) we plan to create a new query page which should answer even more questions. we will then put links to that page from various points around the site. it will save writing historical code into multiple pages which is where we were headed using the previous technique

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 28 January 05 11:30 am

ideology wrote:yes, this has been asked before - by you! (see first page of this thread.) we plan to create a new query page which should answer even more questions. we will then put links to that page from various points around the site. it will save writing historical code into multiple pages which is where we were headed using the previous technique
:oops: :oops: :oops: It was late last night when I posted this and I was real tired .... well that is my excuse :D

Thanks
Andrew

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 28 January 05 1:51 pm

Like a few others - I prefer the old look. Its just too cluttered for my liking.<P>Maybe a solution to accomadate both stats and caches is to have another tab named caches, here you could then divide caches into their respective states...... Just food for thought

Cached

Post by Cached » 28 January 05 2:19 pm

I think the cacher pages looked more professional and useable with the small icons on the left and the cacher names on the right.

A little thing - The Tasmanian Page is "Tasmanian", Victorian "Victorian", South Austrlian is "SA" - doesn't match :(

I find it offputting to have to scroll down through the cache page to find the logs. (not a state pages issue).

I will have a bash at a layout/s over the weekend and get them into you.

ideology

Post by ideology » 28 January 05 7:32 pm

the first thing we think we need to do is sort out the menu navigation structure. once we get that, we can do pages to display the relevant information. people tend to think in terms of state first, so we think the main menu tab should be state, then submenus off that for stats, gca listed caches. all caches, cacher sites, etc.

we could it as cascading menus from http://www.easymenu.co.uk
quite easily. do those menus work on everyone's browsers?
or we could do it in some other style. ideas?

Cached

Post by Cached » 28 January 05 10:21 pm

Please - no flashy drop downy thingys!

Please keep it simple.

What we are now calling the 'old' pages was clean cut, easy to navigate and simple.

If any new pages can keep this idea, thi would be the best outcome.

Thanks!!

Will still do some scribbling regards a navigation structure.

ideology

Post by ideology » 29 January 05 12:06 am

good point. we just had a thought: most people stick inside a state, so instead of states being the major tabs, you could choose your state through a drop-down box in the header. then the tabs could be simply caches, stats, websites, etc. the drop-down would default to the state in your profile

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 29 January 05 12:27 am

That sounds like the best suggestion (logical) so far

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 29 January 05 9:43 am

ideology wrote: most people stick inside a state, so instead of states being the major tabs, you could choose your state through a drop-down box in the header. then the tabs could be simply caches, stats, websites, etc. the drop-down would default to the state in your profile
That sounds like a great idea!